July 21, 2006

Fantabulous Friday #3


So far, I haven't really gotten anyone to participate in Fantabulous Friday, but that's okay. I'm having a great time! God is using it to remind me of my blessings & to give me a specific time to thank Him...and that's what it's all about. I don't praise Him nearly enough!

If you've read my blog before, you know I write about CJ...a lot. In fact, one of my friends said last night that when she reads my blog, it always seems to come back to CJ. I just can't help it. God has taught me so much through this little girl. She constantly amazes me...primarily because of the way God is obviously working in her life. I didn't grow up in a Christian home. I didn't have a thing to do with Jesus until I was in my mid 20's. CJ, on the other hand, has been at our church since she was 9 days old. It's her second home. Jesus is so real to her, and I praise Him because she'll never remember a time when she didn't know Him.

Over the past few weeks, I've watched Him do some FANTABULOUS things through her...which have touched my heart so deeply. And since this is MY blog, and MY praise...can you indulge a proud mama while she busts her buttons?

~Last month, her school had a fundraiser for a local boy who needs a bone marrow transplant. The students were "buying" 50-cent chances to hit a teacher with a pie in the face. We gave CJ $10. The next morning, she dug $10 out of her piggy bank. When I asked her if she really wanted to do that, her comment was "It's not about the pie, Mama." Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that we're supposed to give to those who are less fortunate.

~As I mentioned in this post, my sister's husband is getting ready to deploy to Kuwait. Her children are 11 and 8. When we visit, they love to play with Uncle R. CJ was jealous at first, but I explained that her cousins don't have their dad right now, and they need someone to help fill that void. The next time we went back, CJ took a back seat & hung out with me while her Daddy played with them. She watched them & remarked, "Mama, I'm glad Daddy can play with them. It's good for them." Thank you, Lord, for reminding me that we shouldn't be selfish, and to put others' needs ahead of our own.

~When we go to the grocery store, she always grabs any stray carts she finds in the parking lot & brings them in. If she's putting our cart up, she gets the loose ones & puts them up, too. Thank you, Lord, for reminding me to have a better attitude about cleaning up the messes other people sometimes leave...whether physical or emotional.

~Recently, we were leaving a store & saw a mother & young child coming toward the door. They were far enough away that I kept walking toward the car. CJ stopped & waited so she could hold the door open for them. Thank you, Lord, for showing me that I need to have a servant's heart.

~This morning, when I took her into day camp, she pointed out the memory verse for the week, and told me she'd gotten in right on the first try. Thank you, Lord, for convicting me that I need to spend more time hiding your word in my heart.

~ When we entered the camp room, all of the counselors were so excited to see her. There was a chorus of cheers & "hoorays" because she was back...from the COUNSELORS. Later, the director made a point to tell me that they love having CJ there. Thank you, Lord, for encouraging me that we're raising our daughter to honor you, and for giving her such a fun & sweet spirit.

And, Lord, when she whines, disobeys & gets sassy, remind me of these good things again! I'm sure I'll need it!

10 comments:

Barb said...

"It's not about the pie, Mama." I love that. Pretty special little girl.

PEZmama said...

This is such a sweet post. I'd be proud too, if I were you!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Hello Melissa, enjoyed spending some time at your place this afternoon. Moms get to be proud, and do a little bragging now and then. Esp. if its in front of the kid so they can overhear.

I hate to ask - I should have written it down - can you please email me and tell me the name of the book you recommended - AGAIN. I cant find it in any of my comments and think it was likely an email that I deleted. See what happens when we're too tidy? email is donbevnosbig@verizon.net I expect you'll remember book you recommended. Jesus was in title. Thanks so much, I promise to order it before I lose it again.

Brenda said...

I love the idea of Fantabulous Friday! I'd be happy to participate. Then I'm coming back to read the rest of your posts.

Tammy said...

What a sweet little girl you have! And what a sweet post. We can learn so muc from our children sometimes!
Blessings,
~Tammy

Brenda said...

Okay, mine's posted. Thank you for this idea!

Susannah said...

A "fantabulous" post! Daughters that love Jesus are just amazing. Treasure these moments, as I know you do.

Unknown said...

Something I pray for constantly is that my children will be a blessing to others. I want the Lord to use my babies to speak to the hearts of those that they come in contact with. It sounds like your baby girl is just that! A blessing, a blessing to MANY.

sobeit said...

I think that it's great that you talk about her this way! She sound like a wonderful person "on the inside"......which is where it counts!

Kelli
http://sobeit89.squarespace.com

Jennifer said...

What a beautiful post!