August 15, 2006

Opportunity is Knocking



"In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity."
~ Albert Einstein ~



"I'm sorry, but there's no heartbeat. We'll have to do a D&C. You and your husband can try again in a few months."

"I'm sorry, but your wife's appendix ruptured. There's nothing we can do for the baby, except wait and see."

"I'm sorry, but the cancer's too advanced. There's nothing more we can do. Enjoy the time you have left with your father."

...scenes from the past 10 years of our lives. Each season would certainly classify as "difficulty". We were moving along just fine, then somehow found ourselves in the middle of a difficult, unexpected situation. We took comfort in knowing that while we were in the middle of pain, we were also in the middle of God's will for our family. Not that it didn't hurt. Losing a long-awaited child nearly destroyed me. When we finally got pregnant again, the thought of losing CJ terrified me (but, despite my appendix...she miraculously arrived 4 months later without a hint of our earlier trauma!). Watching my father-in-law suffer with cancer for 5 years, and seeing the affect it had on R...devastating.

Still, there was opportunity. A chance to really put our faith in God. A time to totally lean on Him when we could no longer stand. A gift of watching Him take care of all of it, and of feeling His tender love constantly raining down on us.

There were also opportunities to witness, to both saved and unsaved friends and family. To profess that our strength was only found in God. That peace was coming only from Him. That He was the only truth we could depend on when medical science wasn't on our side.

As Bev said in this post, Jesus told us there would be trials. God reminded me of that a few weeks ago. Large or small...difficulties come. Thankfully,

God is bigger than the Boogie Man.
He's bigger than Godzilla or the monsters on TV.
Oh, God is bigger than the Boogie Man
And He's watching over you & me!**

Now, click on the icon above & see how Albert's quote inspired other Christian women!

**the only Veggie Tales song I remember!

15 comments:

Sarah said...

You certainly have had a lot of those opportunities to grow closer to God in the midst of difficulty. Thanks so much for sharing a bit of your journey with us, and for testifying of His goodness.

Girl Raised in the South said...

Loved reading what you had to share. When it's something you've gone through and you are transparent and put it out there, I know it encourages and supports so many others. There are many others who have lost babies who will feel comforted just to know you understand, truly, how they feel.

On a different note, thank you for linking to my post xoxo And I could sing a few more of the veggie tale songs but I'm pretty recently back from a Texas trip. I almost know a couple of them by heart! And I actually really like the theme song...

Melissa said...

Sarah & Bev,

Thanks for your kind words. Yes, we've walked thru some fires, but God has been so good to us thru it all. I've been able to share with others & comfort them. There's a Scripture in one of the Timothy's about comforting people with the same comfort we've received. I always count it a blessing when I get to use our dark circumstance to minister to others & show them there's encouragement past the pain.

Jennifer said...

Wow, thanks for sharing those amazing thoughts. God has done wonders in your life!

Susan said...

Dear Melissa, God has brought me though the words "sorry, but there's no heartbeat" too.
I know that heart ache, and that God has brought myself and my family through that and other heart aches. He is a good and gracious God.
Thank you for sharing this.

boomama said...

"My God is so big,
So strong and so mighty
There's nothing my God cannot do."

Oh, I've got loads of VT songs committed to memory. Which is sort of sad. :-)

Beautifully written post, Melissa!

Camy Tang said...

Wow, I can't imagine how hard it must have been to go through those difficult times. How wonderful to hear how you leaned on him and were able to be a witness for him in the midst of all those trials.
Camy

Melissa said...

Aww, shucks, gals! You're making me blush. Thanks for the sweet words.

Every time I see BooMama's picture, I crack up!

All together now, "If you like to talk to tomatoes..."

Lori said...

Thank you for sharing and showing us how we can survive things that rock our world. God is in control, he holds us when we cry, he gives peace in the midst of pain. Thank you for openess.

_ said...

Thanks so much for sharing the pain you've gone through. I've had two m/c's and know how devastating they can be and while we can't truly understand why it happens, we do know that He is there beside us the entire time.

Amydeanne said...

you read my mind! lol I've been singing that song, since this was posted!

Kari said...

A time to lean on Him when we can no longer stand...Yes! The heartache is real, and I am so sorry for your losses! Thank you for sharing the wisdom and insight you have gleaned from them!

lori said...

wow, you have been tested in faith, what a testimony that you have..thanks for sharing your heart...

we sing the song ALL the time in the van, before bed....!larry and bob are fabulous guys to have around!
you blessed many this week!

someone else said...

What a beautiful testimony! Thanks for sharing this post on Shalee's site. It was inspirational.

Shalee said...

What a glorious praise to Him who helps us overcome. I have to say, after reading several testimonies, I do not know how people without faith survive. The one huge blessing that we have with an unshakable faith in God is that we not only survive, we can thrive and shine. Thank you for sharing this wonderful testament with us.