June 19, 2007

I'm an Enigma, Really

We recently bought a truck. Not just a truck, but a MAN TRUCK. It's a 4-door, diesel, heavy duty, hear-ya-coming-a-half-mile-away truck. The kind of truck, as my brother-in-law said, that makes you feel small when you stand next to it. It's R's dream truck. Go figure.

In order to keep some miles off my aging SUV, I'm driving the MAN TRUCK a couple of days a week. Can I tell you a secret? I. LOVE. IT.

There's no better place to blare country music and, every now & then, I just have to listen to some country music!

Our recent acquisition got me thinking about one of my favorite chick flicks, "Sweet Home Alabama". I could really relate to Reese Witherspoon's character, Melanie (well, except that she had to choose between Josh Lucas and Patrick Dempsey...and how IS a girl to do that?!). In one scene, she is struggling with finding her place. She's made a life in New York City, but her small Alabama town still feels like home, too.

I so get her.

I adore my small town, but I must say I love The Big Apple. I'm equally at home on my granddaddy's farm and on the streets of Manhattan. I can belt out Billie Holiday, Randy Travis, and Paula Abdul with the same fervor. I'm just as happy wearing flannel, flip flops or high heels.

I'm just a woman who likes everything in moderation...except coffee, chocolate and cheesecake. Which presents a problem. Because, while moderation is good in some things, it's most definitely not in others.

Like faith.
Obedience.
Patience.
Love.
Kindness.
Goodness.
Self-control.
Gentleness.
Wisdom.
Prayer.
Bible study.

It's in these areas of life that I need to be extreme, but I'm stuck in that "moderation is key" mindset. Or heartset, if you will. Too afraid to commit one way or the other, I find myself wavering between the Godly and the worldly.


I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm - neither hot not cold - I am about to spit you out of my mouth. - Revelation 3:15-16


I pray He doesn't give up on me and spit me out!

It's time for me to stop riding the fence and choose who I'm going to serve.


I choose God.


Melissa

7 comments:

Robin said...

I love it! I think it's great that you can find things to love about both places - it makes you very easy to get along with I'm sure!
Have fun with the truck!

Lisa Bolling said...

Girlfriend, my man is a big truck man too and I love him and his big black dodge truck.
We have so much in common - I can go from boots to heels without a blink of the eye. And IS there such a thing as too much coffee, chocolate or cheesecake?
Have a blast driving around town in your big ole truck!! I bet you look goooooooood!!!
Oh, and a Kenny Chesney CD goes great with a big truck!!

TammieFay said...

Thanks so much for stopping by to see me...so glad you have joined us in the challenge.

Don't worry sweetie, He will NEVER give up on you...just keep pressing on!

Joy @ SAH Missionary said...

I appreciate your thoughts today, here and in my comments!!
Blessings,
Joy

Jennifer said...

I can totally relate! Every once in a while I need to listen to country music, too, because that's what I grew up on. I love small towns and big cities (I loved NYC when we went there). And I'm with you on the coffee, chocolate and cheesecake thing! And, I too, am often too moderate in areas of my life that need less moderation and more passion. :-)

Betty's Loosing Race said...

I love your thoughts and how you compared the movie to things in our everyday life. I loved that movie.

~Betty~

Musings of a Housewife said...

I could have written this post. Every word. And I secretly love driving Hubby's monster truck.