June 17, 2007

It's Harder Than I Thought

It's a little after midnight here, and I'm not ready to go to bed. I'm usually a night owl anyway, but tonight I'm fighting sleep with everything in me. Because when I wake up, it'll be tomorrow. And tomorrow (more accurately, today) is the day we drive a couple of hours away and drop our girl at summer camp. I'm tearing up just thinking about it.

I'm excited for her. I've been eagerly waiting for some time both to myself and with R, without the constant "Mama" interruptions. But just now, the thought of leaving her there is overwhelming me.

We've been separated before. Every year, R & I travel for an extended weekend without her. She's been to the beach with friends for a weekend. I've even left the country without her. But right now, being home alone without her for a whole week is not as appealing as it was just 5 hours ago!

Maybe it's because I watched "The Brooke Ellison Story" tonight (great movie, but have a box of tissues!). Not a wise choice. Maybe it's the realization that my little girl is growing up faster than I'd like. Whatever the reason, I'm having some major Mama drama right now!

I know the Lord will take care of her. Funny, this whole week, I've been reassuring her that she'll be fine. I typed Joshua 1:9 on a sheet of paper & taped it to the inside lid of her trunk.


Be strong & courageous. Do not be terrified; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.


I know He's going to look after her so much better than I could. I just didn't realize letting go would be so hard.

Melissa

4 comments:

Betty's Loosing Race said...

I understand how you feel! My daughter just got back from church camp. As hard as it was to see her go, she had such a great time!

I just now said a prayer for you and your daughter.

~Betty~

eph2810 said...

What a beautiful passage you are giving your daughter :) - I am sure she will be fine and you will be too. It is hard to let go of our kids...

Jennifer said...

I think Mama needs that Scripture, too. :-) I hope the week goes well for you both.

Holly said...

I'm sorry it was so hard to let her go. I hope she has a wonderful time and I hope God gives you strength and peace this week.

This is one of my favorite verses for travel, or almost anything!