August 17, 2007

Ministry Notebook

I've shared before that I love encouraging my church family. Although it's something I really enjoy, I confess that there have been times that the notes I've been thinking for people have never made it to paper.

I'm determined to change.

Recently I was browsing the school supply aisle at W*lmart. I just love that aisle, particularly this time of year when it's loaded with crisp new notebooks, pens, highlighters, pencil boxes, etc. It makes me think of bouquets of sharpened pencils (quick...name the movie!), and a sparkling clean slate.

Ahem...back to the point.

So, while I was perusing the notebooks, I found these adorable things:



I was inspired!

So, I snatched one up and decided to make it my "Ministry Notebook". It's got a pocket in the front, and 3 sections.

The first section will be prayer concerns. I keep the notebook in my church bag, so that I can write down prayer concerns in one spot, rather than jotting notes in my Sunday School book or on the bulletin (only to be forgotten later). I'll have a list of people to pray for every week!

The second section is for those I haven't seen in a while. As an adult Sunday School teacher, I need to keep track of the people who haven't been in class lately. I can look at my roll sheet and jot down names, so that I remember to contact them with a call or card.

The last section is for birthdays & anniversaries. When we get our newsletter every month, I'll jot down the birthdays & anniversaries of those in my class so that I can send cards.

I'm setting aside time every Sunday afternoon to write the cards for the week or month ahead. I can put them in the pocket until it's time to mail them. I know this is going to make a big difference in my life & my approach to ministry.

I'm so excited!!! Laura, you're starting to rub off on me!


Melissa

12 comments:

Kate said...

What a good idea. Little notes can make such a big difference in people's lives. Everyone loves to be noticed and appreciated.

Kate

Shawna said...

Oh, I LOVE looking at the back to school supplies. I know just what you mean about a clean slate. A new notebook holds a world of opportunities. It sounds like you have a great plan.

kittyhox said...

I love school/office supplies sooo much.

Wonderful idea!

I, too, often have good intentions, but am lacking on follow through. This notebook sounds like a practical way to help you go that extra step in your prayer life and in fellowship/ministry life! Making deliberate plans is a great way to develop new habits!

Good job!

PS - I've been finding the cutest office-y things at Walmart, too. I actually have a post planned about one of my finds. Great minds, and all that... :)

Jennifer said...

That's the thing I miss about teaching...all the school supplies!!

Oh, and that movie is "You've Got Mail." I love that line.

This is a great idea you've come up with. I really hope it helps you stay organized with your encouraging. It will mean so much to so many people!

Alana said...

That's wonderful, Melissa! I'm constantly kicking myself for not following the Lord's leading to call, write, pray, or encourage someone. I kick myself for a lot of things! LOL!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I think a trip to Walmart is in order. Thanks so much for the great idea...think of the difference we could make in someone's life just by being obedient to the Spirit when He nudges us to encourage them.

Janelle said...

What a great idea! People are so blessed by thoughtfulness. Thanks for the encouragement.

ocean mommy said...

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the comment on my blog! It's nice to "meet" you.

Love the notebook idea, I may have to use it!

Blessings,
stephanie

Laura said...

Oh I like this idea alot! I need to do something like this myself!

Hope you are having a great weekend :)

Laura

Aunt Angie said...

Now that is a neat idea! I use whatever "journal book" I was given last as a gift...but I really like the "pockets and dividers"!!! Thanks for sharing that!

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

What a great idea! Love those notebooks--very cute!

You had asked who Aggie & Kim were on my blog (I quoted them). They are from the BBC show How Clean is Your House. I love it!

Blessings~

Betty's Loosing Race said...

Great idea Melissa! I use a 3 ring binder and carry it in my "church Bag." Your notebook seems to be more attractive and would take us less space.

~Betty~