September 1, 2007

A New Look, A New Mission

(*updated to add changes in green below)

Recently I shared that I've been thinking a lot about blogging. Several of my favorite reads are in the midst of blogging breaks. I guess I took one myself this week. I've been asking the Lord to prioritize my days. And blogging hasn't been a priority. That, friends, is a God thing.



My new priorities coincide with the beautiful new look from Susie. It's the perfect time to make some changes.

Writing:
Several years ago, I wrote devotions and sent them out to friends via email. I actually created the blog because I thought it would be easier than sending out a mass email every week. But I was easily swept away from my purpose, and what started as a ministry soon began to border on obsession. I lost the vision of what God wanted to accomplish through me. He has opened my eyes to see what He wants for my life & my blog. I will continue to write, but I'm getting back to my original purpose & focus. I'll be sharing what I'm learning, through Bible study & life application. Under the "Life Support" sidebar, I'll post the Scripture that's tugging on my heart at the moment. Under the "Breathing In" sidebar, I'll post what Book of the Bible I'm currently studying. And "Fresh Air" will be the list of books I'm studying personally and for Sunday School.

I'm not exactly sure what it's going to look like yet. I just know it will be different.


Reading:
I have decided that I shouldn't have more blogs in my Bloglines than candles on my birthday cake (well, if I were crazy enough to put candles on my cake!). I'm actually below that number now, with a few to spare. It was hard to delete blogs, because I enjoyed reading them all. But I couldn't keep up. So, I thought about what I want to learn by reading blogs, and realized that I want to place priority on women who feel like old friends, women who inspire me, and women who can guide me to be a better wife, mother & homemaker. It was still difficult to choose, but I did it.


I've been reading "Shopping for Time: How to Do It All and NOT Be Overwhelmed" by Carolyn Mahaney & her three daughters. These ladies compare finding time to do everything with shopping for great deals.


Obviously, we don't want the "bad deals" to keep us from what is truly valuable. We don't want sinful pursuits to deter us from what is God glorifying. But, it's often the things such as a ministry opportunity, a relational pursuit, a money-making venture, a leisure activity, or a hobby that hinders us from making the best choices. It's frequently these good things that distract us from the best things.


I love blogging. It's been cathartic, educational, and relational for me. It's been a good thing, but not always the best thing. As I told another blogger via email this past week, God has used Christian bloggers to use the often-evil internet for good. What a praise! At the same time, I'm afraid that S*tan has used it to steal our time & attention away from what's really important. Heck, he didn't even have to steal mine...I handed it to him freely. Now I'm taking it back.

I want blogging to be a blessing in my life. I pray that THIS blog, when you visit, will be a blessing in yours.

10 comments:

Janelle said...

Beautiful. Thank you for putting the words to my thoughts.

I look forward to seeing your new direction.

Donnetta said...

Good for you!! I, too, have had to evaluate my blog,the time spent and it's purpose.

I also just recently trimmed my bloglines as well. NOT easy but how good it was!

Eager to read what you have in the days ahead!

Brenda said...

Change is good. I've recently made some changes myself. Looking forward to seeing what God has in store for you!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Kudos for being obedient to the Holy Spirit. It's so easy to get caught up in the blogosphere that we lose track of why we started to begin with! Thanks for the reminder, and I will look forward to reading your insights and comments about the scripture and your Christian walk.

Alana said...

I'm having a terrible time posting a comment here for some reason. I thought I posted one earlier, but don't see it now and I just started to compose another and lost it somehow.

Hmm.

Anyway, I wanted to say that I appreciate what you had to say here. It probably is a good rule to have fewer blogs in your bloglines than candles on your birthday cake ;-) I may have to weed mine down a bit to accomplish that.

I have to say that this blogging thing really through me for a loop. It has been so great to have an outlet for my thoughts. I actually feel like it has given me some perspective on life that was not there before. I have been encouraged and challenged by fellow bloggers (like you) and all in all I think it is a good thing.

However, as you say it really can be a time and attention stealer. Right now I am striving to keep it at a healthy level for myself and for my family. It's a work in progess.

Thanks as always for sharing your heart with us!

Karen said...

Stopping over from Xandra's place. I love the look of your blog -- great music too:)

I agree that it's so important to find a balance with blogging. Like anything else, it possible to have too much of a good thing!

Kate said...

I like your blogging guidelines.

At first I thought you meant the number of blogs listed on website and when I clicked on that I thought, Melissa's got to be getting close to her 150th birthday. Then I read more closely. OH! Bloglines. I get it.

Love the new look. One of these days Bluebird Designs and I are going to have a chat.

Kate

DeeDee said...

I love this post...very inspiring. Thanks for sharing! I'm looking forward to the study notes!

Anonymous said...

Well said, without condemning others who have other goals.

I recently started a second blog, simply because it seemed people got bogged down in my "deep".

I've developed some good relationships locally by loosening up a bit, but it's been time for me to soak a bit in some deep waters...if all by myself. Similar to your thoughts here.

Good vs. best...I've heard it before, but it seemed very poignant here.
Maggie

Laura said...

Oh my I just came on over after you sent me the email and realized you have a beautiful new look and a beautiful new outlook.

"So, I thought about what I want to learn by reading blogs, and realized that I want to place priority on women who feel like old friends, women who inspire me, and women who can guide me to be a better wife, mother & homemaker."

I couldn't agree more with that. That is how I've been trying to keep my blog numbers down as well. It is so hard to do though but I know I need to have a purge again and will keep the criteria above in mind when I do.

You are very inspiring,
Laura