January 1, 2008

And So It Begins...

The Year of Peace and Simplicity is here.

I've made only one promise to myself...move slowly and deliberately. S*tan knows that I am easily discouraged when I fail to live up to high (and often unrealistic) expectations I set for myself. I'm planning to disarm him from the start. I'm prayed up and ready to move forward!

Last week I was searching the Scriptures for verses on peace. The first one I found was so fitting, I didn't look any further (for now).

I will listen [with expectancy] to what God the Lord will say, for He will speak peace to His people, to His saints (those who are in right standing with Him)--but let them not turn again to [self-confident] folly.
~Psalm 85:8 (AMP)

This is my verse for the year. I'm waiting, with great anticipation, for my Jesus to speak peace over me. He will do it. But first I must be in right-standing with Him. I've spent the last week seeking His forgiveness and cleansing. And I'm already praying that once He speaks peace over me, I won't return to the folly of relying on myself. It's gotten me nowhere.

As I open my new calendar, it's time to close the book on the old and say good-bye to self-reliance, self-indulgence, self-importance, and self-righteousness. Yet I don't want to forget them. In one of my favorite movies, Sally suggests that the song "Auld Lang Syne" means we should remember that we forgot our old acquaintances. If I'm going to truly put these sins behind me, I've got to remember that I actively forgot them and that I don't want to pick them back up again.

And so it begins...

4 comments:

Alana said...

I'm with you on this journey, my friend. I LOVE that verse...perfect. I feel like this is something I've been working up to for awhile. Praying God's strength for us both in this endeavor!

His Girl said...

Melissa,
Thanks for the inspiring blog. "Coincidentally," I've been pondering peace this morning. It's a beautiful scripture, and a great way to start the new year.

(Also,apparently, we have much more in common. James Taylor playing & the WHMS movie reference were not lost on this chickkie)

Melissa said...

Alana & "his girl",

Obviously, many of us need to find peace and simplicity this year. I'm so glad we're all on this journey together. It certainly makes the work ahead more bearable. I hope we can offer encouragement to each other.

James Taylor's soothing voice speaks peace to me. His music is so soothing! And WHMS...the original chick flick! I could watch it over & over again, and still laugh (and cry) my head off.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I am on this journey with you as well - seeking peace and simplicity. Loving your encouragement as well as homesanctuary's challenges to create peace, order and beauty! I am on the journey and I too want to give over the reigns more deeply and more fully this year. I want to let HIM guide my steps and lead me in HIS way!

Glad to be on the road with you.