March 22, 2009

He's An On-Time God

That's the name of one of our church choirs favorite songs (It's a congregational favorite because the soloist can sing it like nobody's business!).

He's an on-time God, yes He is.
He may not come when you want Him,
But He'll be there right on time.


I wonder if He ever gets tired of proving His timeliness to me.

Friday was the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day...the culmination of a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad week. Even though I'd commented on His Girl's post earlier in the week that I rarely cry, I couldn't stop Friday. I'd temporarily get myself under control, only to start blubbering again. Circumstances were closing in on me. I was having one giant pity party.

And, wouldn't you know it? God showed up.

I'd overslept that morning and missed my quiet time. I found myself at home alone that afternoon, so I crawled in my Abba's lap and cried some more. And then He spoke

We can enter into God's rest only if we take Him at His Word. Are you facing an insurmountable obstacle today, something bringing you to the brink of despair? Quit looking at your inability. Nothing is impossible with God, and you will find a clear path ahead if you look at Him instead.
~Lydia Brownback, "Trust"

I was completely undone. That devotion couldn't have described my feelings any better. And then I remembered...God knew my circumstances before the creation of the world. Even though I was surprised and disappointed, He wasn't caught off guard. He's prepared. I just have to trust.

You see, I had fallen back into old habits sin. I was consumed with my plight, and my own plans to fix it. I was tempted to take control. I didn't believe.

I've been praying to live a life that can only be explained by Him. (A fine example of Be careful what you pray for!) I knew this year would be a journey of trusting Him more. I just didn't know it would be this painful, or this convicting.

[Therefore beware] brethren, take care, lest there be in any one of you a wicked, unbelieving heart [which refuses to cleave to, trust in, and rely on Him], leading you to turn away and desert or stand aloof from the living God.
-Hebrews 3:12(AMP)

Oh, Lord, please forgive me! I want to believe! Help my unbelief!





5 comments:

Leah said...

I prayed for you several times Friday. Do you think satan (who I refuse to address with a capital "S") works overtime on us when our husbands, or spiritual heads, are gone? I do, and will continue to pray for you, friend!

Carrie said...

And so . . . again . . . your blog is helpful!

I had an awful weekend but at the very END of it Jonathan and I looked back amazed to see what God was trying so hard to teach us. So it ended up being a very GOOD experience - with God showing up to point out the lesson in His own time. Perfect time.

Thanks for sharing!

Bonnie said...

"Don't worry about anything; instead, pray about everything; tell God your needs and don't forget to thank Him for His answers. If you do this, you will experience God's peace, which is far more wonderful than the human mind can understand. His peace will keep your thoughts and your heart quiet and at rest as you trust in Christ Jesus."

Philippians 4:6-7 The Living Bible

Melissa, This particular translation really speaks to me; I just read it, and read it again, and again if I need to. Just thought I'd share - cause I Love You! (Now you can't say I never comment on your blog ;-)

Bonnie

Jill said...

I'll be praying for you as you begin a new week. I know this is a hard couple of weeks for you and CJ (and R!). Please know I am thinking of you all.

His Girl said...

Oh! He is so on-time, so relevant, so personal!

Glad to know you, friend. I hope you know how much it ministers to me when you share this stuff.