November 17, 2009

The Gift of Praise

Confession: this is an edited, older post. But it's a much-needed reminder for me!


When I was a young girl (back before the days of cable & VCRs), "The Wizard of Oz" would come on television once a year. From the time I saw the first commercial announcing its pending arrival, I could hardly wait for that night to come. Every year, I'd sit patiently through the "boring" (black & white) part, eagerly anticipating the appearance of The Lollipop Guild, The Lullaby League, and, of course, Glenda the Good Witch. I just loved when Dorothy met Scarecrow and invited him to come along on her journey to the Emerald City. I was enthralled by the bright Yellow Brick Road and those snazzy ruby slippers. My fascination was soon lost. When the trees started talking, I headed for the door. Talking inanimate objects are just plain spooky, if you ask me!

When Jesus entered Jerusalem for the last time, the crowd went wild. They waved palm branches and shouted praises to God for all the miracles they'd witnessed during Jesus' ministry. The Gospel of Luke says "the whole crowd" of disciples was giving joyful praise. Some Pharisees in the crowd told Jesus to rebuke them. His response... "I tell you, " he replied, "if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out." (Luke 19:40)

As a girl who doesn't like talking trees, I'm not crazy about the idea of talking stones, either! So, how do I keep them from crying out? I praise God! He wants to know we appreciate Him, and that we recognize His gifts to us and let others know about it. Through our praise, we are teaching others about Him. We're also reminding ourselves of His goodness.

I haven't praised God enough because I haven't looked for Him enough. It's easy to find Him in the big things. Still, sometimes I have a hard time realizing He's in the daily, mundane things of life. Wouldn't you think our BIG God hiding in the every day is kinda' like an elephant trying to hide behind a telephone pole? He's sticking out all over the place! All I need to do is open my eyes and look.

I don't need to just praying more fervently. I must also praise more fervently too. He is completely worth it. Besides, I don't want to be responsible for any talking stones. Do you?





2 comments:

jenmom said...

My daughter and I just watched "The Wizard of Oz" this past weekend!
No talking stones around me!!!

Heather C said...

Praise You, Father, for being the One who is able to whisper "Peace, be still" over the waters of my churning heart, and calm the storm inside of me. You are amazing, and Your love to me is unfathomable. I praise You, Lord.