January 21, 2010

A Good Read: Dug Down Deep

Recent conversation in our home:

Me: I want to learn to knit.

R: No, you don't.

Me: Yes, I do. Why not?

R: Because it would cut into your reading time, and you won't have that.


That man knows me so well. But how could I possibly read less when there are so many great books in the world? One of which is Dug Down Deep: Unearthing What I Believe and Why It Matters by Joshua Harris. I'd heard of Harris, who wrote the popular I Kissed Dating Goodbye several years back, but I'd never read anything he's written. After reading Dug Down Deep, I'm a fan.




Harris shares his journey into theology. While theology may be an imposing word to some (admittedly, it was to me), it's important that understand that "Theology matters, because if we get it wrong, then our whole life will be wrong...We're either building our lives on the reality of what God is truly like and what he's about, or we're basking our lives on our own imagination and misconceptions." (p. 11)  Therefore, as Christians we have no excuse for not finding out exactly what we believe and why it matters.

Harris uses personal stories (and even a few drawings) to illustrate his points about the doctrines of Scripture, the Holy Spirit and sanctification, among others. He points to others who have influenced him along the way, and quotes books I have promptly added to my Amazon wish list. His honesty and comfortable style of writing make this a great resource for anyone just delving into theology. In fact, I'm going to study it with my youth girls, and I'm sure I'll be talking about it a lot around here.




Thanks to Waterbook Multnomah for giving me the chance to review Dug Down Deep.  To find out more, visit their site






2 comments:

Carrie said...

Awesome idea to read it with your girls!

All reviews on this one seem like a positive (not like I should be surprised...).

Lisa Spence said...

I already told you, but I want to post it here for the world wide web to know: I WANT TO READ THIS BOOK!!!