January 6, 2010

Steps of Faith

I wish I knew how many hours I spent playing Mother May I as a girl. Bunny hops, skips, giant steps, and those dreaded baby steps. I hated those. I mean, how could I possibly win if I was reduced to taking mere baby steps?

Sadly, I'm not sure my attitude has changed all that much.  I approached the Year of Faith and Freedom with visions of giant leaps of faith. I guess I thought that beginning January 1st, Jesus would ask me to do some pretty amazing things that would challenge and stretch me hurdle me over the obstacles in our path to freedom. So far, nothing.

I don't know what He's waiting for. Doesn't He understand that I'm ready to GET.ON.WITH.IT.ALREADY?!?!

Yet here I am, taking baby steps. In fact, our life is filled with them:

~R is registering for a college class. Just one. Making sure he's on the right track before barreling ahead full speed.

~While we still have two incomes, we're cutting back in small increments and allowing ourselves time to adjust before moving ahead with more. Trying to put ourselves in the best financial position we possibly can.

~Making the Word a priority by reading through the Bible with this group.  I've tried this before, but never made it very far. This is the time. I'm excited about a plan that gives me a "grace period" every month & the accountability of a group.

~Limiting computer and television time.

~Getting back into a schedule of menu planning and making our home a sanctuary. Now, more than ever, the three of us need to feel that home is a special place where we can block out the world.

Baby steps are more deliberate, more time consuming, and not nearly as flamboyant or audacious as giant leaps.  Yet they allow me to spend more time with Jesus, to linger with Him along the way and get to know Him more intimately. Baby steps will make this journey sweeter, richer, and completely worth it.

Therefore do not throw away your confidence, which has a great reward. For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. For, "Yet a little while, and the coming one will come and will not delay; but my righteous one shall live by faith,and if he shrinks back, my soul has no pleasure in him." But we are not of those who shrink back and are destroyed, but of those who have faith and preserve their souls.
-Hebrews 10:35-39, ESV (emphasis mine)






7 comments:

jenmom said...

Taking those baby steps right along with you!
I've actually chosen to do the Blended Plan you had mentioned to me before on reading the Bible through.

His Girl said...

OH HOW I HATE BABY STEPS!!!

but am learning that they are better than bounding-ahead-of-God steps.

this post is so encouraging.

xoxo

Tanya (In the Dailies) said...

Great verses. I need to commit those to memory.

I'm trying to get back into menu planning too. I was doing great before Christmas, but have fallen off the wagon since. Oh, Discipline? I have need of you!

Lisa Spence said...

Those who walk will not grow faint!

Heather C said...

I love this post, Melissa. It's been a rough year for my family... often I feel as though I'm not even taking baby steps, but I'm stuck in the mire. I found this so encouraging today. Thank you!

sobeit said...

Inspiring message! I always like to take the leap, but am learning about baby steps!

Leah said...

Funny how you talk about hating baby steps, but that's just what you're doing by cutting back: "in small increments and allowing ourselves time to adjust before moving ahead with more". It's a love/hate relationship, right? =) Keep on keeping on, Melissa!