April 29, 2010

Nineteen

Why?

The question not often on my lips, but never far from my heart.

My shaking legs take unsure steps on the road away from this life. I  am a newborn foal not yet ready to run, ignoring my Father's nudges. I want to stay in the shelter of the stable, lie in the warmth of the hay. Yet He is calling me to step out of this life, and into a field unknown.

Why?


In direct contradiction to the American dream, God actually delights in exalting our inability.  He intentionally puts his people in situations where they come face to face with their need for him. In the process he powerfully demonstrates his ability to provide everything his people need in ways they could never have mustered up or imagined. And in the end, he makes much of his own name (see 2 Cor. 12:7-9)...This is how God works. He puts his people in positions where they are desperate for his power, and then he shows his provision in ways that display his greatness.
(Scripture reference added from footnote)


The sun glistens brightly just outside the stable door. It dances across the grass of the open field. The warm breeze whispers my name.

Am I ready?

No longer held back by my own comfort or expectations. No false security in an employer. It's almost time to run in the wide open spaces with my Father.

He brought me out into a broad place; he rescued me, because he delighted in me
~ Psalm 18:19 (ESV)