May 1, 2012

Around the House: May

Turning the calendar page this morning, I am astonished that it's May. Really, truly astonished. Perhaps it's because I lost the month of March with Mama's sickness and passing. Perhaps it's because I went into shock when my girl brought home her high school registration. Perhaps it's because I'm just older. (I'm guessing it's a combination of all three.)

Somehow May is here, and I just can't fathom it. I find my soul is overcome with combination of deep sadness and indescribable joy.

In this last full month of Spring, I am:

~wishing I could fast-forward through Mother's Day weekend, which also includes both of my parents' birthdays

~praying for God's grace to see me through it

~excited to participate in The Book Club at Desiring Virtue.  I ordered my book the day Jessalyn announced it!

~enjoying fresh strawberries from a local farm (my current favorite accompaniment is plain yogurt with a drizzle of local honey...yum!)

~humbled to think that my man and I will be celebrating our 19th anniversary this month. The Lord, He is good!

~planning a quick get-away with my man to celebrate

~looking forward to my college girls coming home. We're already planning lunch dates and a Cary Grant movie night

~also looking forward to diving into this book

~savoring the last of the preserved fruit and vegetables

~eager to re-fill all the empty canning jars

~hoping the weather will cooperate to finally get our garden heading in the right direction this weekend

~learning much from the Book of Hosea

~pondering (once again) my relationship with technology and social media

~clinging to these verses, and the hope they give

In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ. - 1 Peter 1: 6-7 (ESV)




5 comments:

Desiring Virtue said...

I'm so glad you are excited about the book club! I am sorry that you will be mourning even as you celebrate Mother's Day. I can understand that and will be praying for you. <3

Becky said...

Because of His never ending mercies, May will be a time for you to breath in life.

Love you!

Staci Eastin said...

I hope you enjoy "I Capture the Castle." I loved it!

Lisa Spence said...

I too loved I Capture the Castle--one of my favorites!

I will pray for you this Mother's Day and for the Lord's peace to comfort and sustain you...

Love you, friend!

Carrie said...

We just read I Capture the Castle recently in our bookclub and TONIGHT I'm going to get to watch the movie version with one of my fellow ladies from church. Very excited about that.

I, too, am astonished that it is May. It hardly seems right.