June 11, 2007

A Living Testimony

Yesterday I started a series about obedience, based on Deuteronomy 4. If you're coming in late, please go back and read the first post. As I said, our lack of obedience doesn't only affect us. It directly impacts those around us.



See, I have taught you decrees and laws as the Lord my God commanded me, so that you may follow them in the land you are entering to take possession of it. Observe them carefully, for this will show your wisdom and understanding to the nations, who will hear about all these decrees and say, "Surely this great nation is a wise and understanding people." What other nation is so great as to have their gods near them the way the Lord our God is near us whenever we pray to him? And what other nation is so great as to have such righteous decrees and laws as this body of laws I am setting before you today? Only be careful, and watch yourselves closely so that you do not forget the things your eyes have seen or let them slip from your heart as long as you live. Teach them to your children and to their children after them.
--Deuteronomy 4:5-9




#2 Obedience is Our Testimony. Our obedience speaks volumes about our belief in God. I can loudly proclaim faith in God's ability to do anything, but my actions speak louder than any words. Particularly to the non-believers who are watching me. How can I expect others to repent & submit to His authority if I'm not willing to do that very thing?

I find myself again paraphrasing Priscilla: the more sturdy our foundation of obedience, the greater the miracles God will accomplish in our lives.

Large buildings need a much stronger foundation than smaller ones. Merely going to church & reading the Bible every once in a while makes for a poor foundation. Spending time with Him in prayer and Bible study strengthens the foundation. The foundation becomes strongest when we are obedient.

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching.
My father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home
with him." --John 14:23**


Did you get that? When we are obedient, God makes His home with us! He is a mighty fortress. Obedience lays a foundation strong enough for God to take our pitifully human lives and build a towering monument to Himself. The higher it goes, the more people who will be able to see it. It will bring glory to Him. And we get the privilege of being a part of His work.

So, if obedience is simple and it's our testimony to others, why do we disobey Him? Perhaps we're afraid He's going to require to much.

That, dear ones, will bring us to tomorrow's lesson.


**This is our family verse (and the 40 by 40 verse) for the week.


Melissa

No comments: