September 25, 2007

The Pharisee in Me

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,God made you alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.
--Colossians 2:13-15

Even as a child, I liked rules and structure. My parents would agree that most of the time, I stayed within the boundaries they set for us. I was (and am) a people-pleaser, so I didn't often dare to cross the line into disobedience.

As an adult, I still like rules and structure. I like to know what's expected of me so I can stay the course.

Structure is a good thing:
For though I am absent from you in body, I am present with you in spirit and delight to see how orderly you are and how firm your faith in Christ is.
--Colossians 2:5

Structure without mercy is legalism:

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you for the prize. Such a person goes into great detail about what he has seen, and his unspiritual mind puffs him up with idle notions. He has lost connection with the Head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.
--Colossians 2:16-19

Structure without Christ is futile:

Since you died with Christ to the basic principles of this world, why, as though you still belonged to it, do you submit to its rules: "Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!"? These are all destined to perish with use, because they are based on human commands and teachings. Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
--Colossians 2:20-23
I shared here that God has told me to give up a couple of television shows. I haven't named them because I don't want to condemn anyone who may watch those shows. I am the only person responsible for the convictions God has placed on my life. Expecting others to follow my convictions makes me nothing more than a Pharisee.

I'm also learning that I'm responsible for only those convictions on my life. When I try to follow someone else's convictions, I am doing so in my own power and not God's. Even if it makes me look "good" and I'm able to stick with it for a while, ultimately I will fail. I'm wasting my time.

Following His will for our lives will lead to victory and protection. We'll pick up there next time.

*******
P.S. - Thanks to everyone who left encouraging comments on my last post. I'm so glad you heard my heart on that issue! It wasn't about linking to or reading non-Christian material...but about my false assumptions.

7 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

This was beautifully laid out with scripture. What a great reminder. It is so tempting to be the Holy Spirit for others. When God reveals something in my heart, there is a fine line between sharing what He laid on my heart and trying to convince others they must follow too!

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I struggle with a judgmental nature...this post made me realize that some things that I say (or post) are inadvertantly judgmental. Thank you for the scripture and the reminder that I am only responsible for the convictions in MY life.

I just love your blog. I know that when I see a new post that I am going to have something to think about. I am doing a private study in James for my quiet time after being encouraged here, and it is wonderful. I appreciate your honesty.

For His Glory,
Xandra

Heather C said...

The Lord has a will for each of us, and He reveals it in HIS time. You might see something in me and think it needs to change, and yet God knows me through and through, and He knows that there is something else that must be eradicated first... something with more priority -- to Him. I'm just thankful He doesn't reveal to me all at once the things in me that need to change. :)

As always, wonderful post. Thank you!

Angie said...

I came across your blog today. I loved this post. God has also spoken to me about some TV shows and I have not been obedient. He spoke to me a few years ago about an author that I really enjoyed but needed to avoid. Her books were feeding my anxiety. Today, I needed to be reminded that God's instructions for me are for me and I am wrong to judge others. Thanks for pointing me to Christ and His word. The few min. I've been reading has really blessed me. I'll be back!
angie

Katy said...

I loved this post!!! Thanks so much! :)

Alana said...

This is good stuff.

Again, I agree with Heather. The Lord works on our hearts in His time and he knows the right timing for the changes He has in mind for us. I've seen this first hand...many times.

Anonymous said...

....God bless you....