September 14, 2007

Time Management 101

Time. There never seems to be enough. Too many things to do, too little time to do them. Since school started, all of my attention is focused on helping CJ. My home and my husband have suffered terribly this week. Even getting up earlier doesn't give me enough time to accomplish everything that needs to be done. I'm getting so much out of my deepening relationship with the Lord, but S*tan's got me wondering if my family would be better served if I spent that time doing housework instead of praying & studying the Word.

I've been praying for a revelation...some sort of magical way to get it all done and have time to spare. And my precious Jesus whispered the answer to me

For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you and asking God to fill you with the knowledge of His will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding. And we pray this in order that you may live a life worthy of the Lord and may please Him in every way: bearing fruit in every good work, growing in the knowledge of God, being strengthened with all power according to His glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience
--Colossians 1:9-11 (NIV)


The secret to getting it all done is to ONLY do His will. Before glancing at our calendars and "To Do" lists, we need to consult with our Father. By starting the day with Him, we have the opportunity to ask Him what He wants to accomplish through us. It's a two-part process.

First, we must seek His wisdom and understanding. As Paul says, the "knowledge of His will" comes "through all spiritual wisdom and understanding" (v. 9). We can't know His will without understanding Him first. Open His Word. See where His priorities are. Get to know Him. Once we have that spiritual wisdom, we will be able to discern His will. Time spent with Him is crucial if we're going to be successful Kingdom workers. If we are pursuing His will, we will be successful because He's already ordained it! No more beating ourselves up over failures! That thought alone speaks volumes to me.

Once we know His will and set our hearts on obedience, Paul says our lives will be worthy of Him, pleasing Him in every way. Not just in mothering, home keeping, or ministry. So many times, we feel we have to sacrifice one for the other. Yet if we are only pursuing His will, we will please Him in every way. Maybe that means we spend more time on our home today, and concentrate on hubby tomorrow. If we're doing what God wants, it will all balance out.

Does anyone else want to shout Hallelujah?!

Paul goes on to say that pleasing God in every way means we will:

~produce fruit in the works He has given us. There are many good things we can work toward in a day but if we've sacrificed God's agenda to do something else, are we living fruitful lives?

~grow in our relationship with Him. We'll get closer to Him. That will lead to gaining a better understanding of Him, which will give us more insight into His will.

~be strengthened. Are we afraid we're going to have to face a God-sized task without His God-sized power? He will give us whatever we need to get the job done.

~receive endurance and patience. We can endure whatever obstacle and wait however long it takes, because we know that ultimately His will is going to be done. Knowing that He's already guaranteed the outcome will encourage us as we labor...whether we're tackling a mountain of laundry or a list of people to care for. Why would He tell us to do it if He didn't want to see it get done?

Finally, from a practical standpoint, giving our days to Him just makes sense. We can put the burden of decision making and time management on Him. After all, He created time. He can manage it any way He wants.

11 comments:

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Oh my goodness! My sister-in-law were just discussing that verse from Colossians this morning! Wow!

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. Every since I joined the 5am club, I have been wondering the same thing....should I be doing something more "productive" with the extra time? You reminded me that nothing is more productive than opening myself to God to be used by Him day by day.

Alana said...

It is definitely worth the time investment. Thankd for spelling out so clearly.

Terri | Sugar Free Glow said...

Ooooooh, this is AWESOME.

"He created time. He can manage it any way He wants."

Now, how true is that?! Great post, Melissa!

Girl Raised in the South said...

Isnt that the truth! Start the day with Him, hand it over, listen, even throughout the day as He tells you to change direction, drop what you were doing. Having a boss, lovingly hovering over you all the time is a blessing. xoxo

ocean mommy said...

Oh I love love love this! I needed the reminder to busy doing what God has planned for me today. I think I'll go and ask Him to interrupt my plans if He needs to.

blessings,
stephanie

Aunt Angie said...

Melissa---you have spoken to the heart of our need. This is necessary for life! I loved this---and needed to read it!
Thanks for sharing these awesome words of faith building encouragement :)

Heather C said...

Thank you so much for this awesome post, Melissa! Talk about a breath of fresh air... and life. :) Amen. Order my steps, Lord!

Rachel Anne said...

Melissa, thank you so much for your prayers this week for my family. We so appreciate it.

Great post, one to think about.

Kathryn Thompson said...

Beautiful post. Thanks for the great reminder.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Oh how I needed to read this. I am struggling through this right now. I am about to read the book, "Breathe" and I think God is going to use it to really change me. I am continually working on giving Him my time, relationships, and tasks so that I can work through how HE wants to use those things.

Thank you girl! Happy to have stumbled here today!

Sandy said...

Our days do go so much smoohter when we ask God to order them for us, thanks for the reminder.

Blessings,
Miss Sandy