October 10, 2007

Gifts

Since CJ entered fourth grade, I feel like I'm back in school again. This year has brought a giant leap in the number of tests, as well as in the tests themselves. We spend much of our time studying. I've been asking her to review her notes, textbook and study guides and then I call the information out to her. The resulting arguments were terrible. I was expecting her to learn the way I always did, and becoming frustrated when it wasn't happening.

This past week, I took a different approach to studying with her. Instead of just calling out the information, I read it to her & we discussed each point. I sprinkled some questions throughout, and we talked about all of the information in detail. Afterwards, she told me that even though I think the old method worked well, it didn't. She prefers this newer technique. After seeing the results, so do I.

When I was pregnant with CJ, I was expecting to have a daughter just like me. However, she is, without a doubt, her father's child. And even though I know that, I still find myself expecting her to do things the way I would. Which isn't fair because, although we share DNA, we are entirely different people. God has given us different gifts, talents, strengths and weaknesses in accordance with His plan for each of our lives.

It's the same among the church.

So Moses took the carts and oxen and gave them to the Levites. He gave two carts and four oxen to the Gershonites, as their work required, and he gave four carts and eight oxen to the Merarites, as their work required. They were all under the direction of Ithamar son of Aaron, the priest. But Moses did not give any to the Kohathites, because they were to carry on their shoulders the holy things, for which they were responsible.
--Numbers 7:6-9


God instructed Moses to disburse the gifts among the Levites, based upon the specific jobs He'd assigned to each group. He does the same today.

I teach adult Sunday School. He's equipped me for that with a background in communications and public speaking. However, He's not given me a mathematically-inclined brain...so He obviously didn't intend for me to serve on the Finance Committee. I'm technologically-challenged, so you won't find me on the Audio-Visual Committee, either.

I admit, I sometimes catch myself envying another person's gifts and talents, wishing for the same ministry. I forget that my Father has given me hand-picked gifts for a purpose He's designed especially for me. But in those times when I listen for His voice and follow His instruction, I realize why He's bestowed those gifts upon me and I am thankful. So thankful.

5 comments:

Heather C said...

Ugh! That has been such a hard lesson for me to learn... that my daughter is NOT me. We are very different. She's a wonderful woman (18yo) and loves God, but we are radically different. I spent countless hours frustrated because she wouldn't fit into the mold I thought she should. Slowly, the Lord brought me to a place of realizing that not only is that ok... it's a GOOD thing. We complement each other.

Excellent application to the church. Praying that we all grasp the importance of serving with our gifts, and allowing others to do the same. Thanks for a great post!

Praise and Coffee said...

Beautiful.

Isn't it good to know that we don't have to be like someone else to be in the center of God's will for our lives. He does have individual plans for us!
If I had someone elses gift, I would be miserable.

I'm thankful too!

Holly said...

And your gifts are GOOD...God calls them good. I am thankful for your gift of succinctly speaking His words and applying them!

I just read your new blog-purpose post. I liked it! Funny thing, I have no blog-lines, because I don't know how...I just save the blogs in favorites and go by when I can. It has been freeing.
Have a blessed weekend, Melissa!
Holly

Janelle said...

Finding the way to unlock your child's potential is very thrilling. I am learning that lesson every day with my son. We have struggled over homework, but I am trying something new. So far, so good. He doesn't do things like I do. He is a perfectionist and I am not. It is a trait that I don't really understand. But I want to for him, for us.

Great post! I love your insight.

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Melissa,

That is beautifully said...I have two sons, 11 and 13, one is just like ME and the oldest is just like DADDY (in looks and personality). I keep telling the boys that there are things that dad and I can help them with because we have struggled with those same things in our youth.

GREAT SITE, btw, I am looking forward to popping over here more to see what is on your mind...btw, I LOVE your name!

Melissa ;)