April 10, 2009

Experiencing the Spirit

Don't you just love how when God starts talking to you about something, He keeps giving you the message over and over until it finally starts to sink in? Or is it just me? He started talking to me about my agenda. But He hasn't stopped there.

When it comes to serving God, we tend to look at what we're good at and what we like to do, then serve according to our ability. The result: we don't need the Holy Spirit because we think we have everything under control...So here's a question: will God ever ask you to do something you're not able to do? The answer is yes - all the time! It must be that way, for God's glory and kingdom. If we function according to our ability alone, we get the glory; if we function according to the power of the Spirit within us, God gets the glory. He wants to reveal Himself to a watching world.


This excerpt is taken from Henry Blackby's new book, Experiencing the Spirit: The Power of Pentecost Every Day.

From the publisher:

God’s Holy Spirit is ready to answer that for us in an awesome way, as Henry Blackaby and his son Mel Blackaby make clear in Experiencing the Spirit. You’ll see how the proof of the Spirit’s presence is our awareness of God’s personal assignments for us, plus our supernatural enablement to carry out those assignments. You’ll find essential clarification on the difference between natural talents and spiritual gifts. You’ll explore the dynamics of being filled with the Spirit through intimate relationship with Him, committed obedience, and radical departure from sin.

The first Bible study I participated in was Blackaby's Experiencing God. It taught me how to look for God in every day life and to join Him in His work. Obviously, I've needed a refresher course. I haven't gotten very far in this new book yet, but it's been eye-opening and convicting so far.

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of living for myself and in my limited power. I'm ready for more.

And when they had prayed, the place in which they were gathered together was shaken, and
they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and continued to speak the word of God with boldness. (Acts 4:31, ESV)





2 comments:

mholgate said...

Hi Melissa! I love this post. I am doing Beth Moore's study "Esther: It's Tough Being a Woman" right now. The video this week really got me to thinking about boldness. One of her quotes was "You might be one brave decision away from the most important part in your path." Her point was that we can "self-preserve" ourselves right out of our destiny by staying with what's comfortable to us. Wow! That makes me want to begin to look for oppportunities to step out in faith with God's unlimited power and blessing on my life!

Have a great weekend!
-Melissa

His Girl said...

I don't know about you, but I'm tired of living for myself and in my limited power. I'm ready for more.

me too!