July 27, 2009

Religion Saves by Mark Driscoll

I guess I've been living under a rock, because I'd never even heard of Mark Driscoll until my friend Lisa reviewed Death by Love: Letters from the Cross (I can't find Lisa's link...sorry!). Who knew Driscoll is so controverisal? I certainly did not, and was eager to read his newest release, Religion Saves + Nine Other Misconceptions.

I have to admit, I haven't had time to finish the book. It's not a quick, easy easy read. Driscoll tackles the topics of birth control, humor, grace, predestination, and dating - among others - in what I understand has become his trademark bold and blunt style. I can definitely understand why he's causing such a stir among well-known Christians. To be perfectly honest, I was shocked by Driscoll's candor.

Driscoll uses a great deal of Scripture to support his responses to the most popular questions asked by his own congregation. Given the subject matter and the recent criticism leveled at Driscoll's stance on some issues, I feel I need to read with my Bible in hand so as not to be swayed by Driscoll, his supporters or his critics. Rather, I want to rely on the whole counsel of God.

Religion Saves has caused me to think deeper, ponder Scripture more carefully, and examine my own beliefs. That alone makes it a book worth reading.

Interested in what others are saying about this book? Click here to read more.







2 comments:

Brandy said...

Hmm, sounds interesting. thanks for the recommendation.

Anonymous said...

That does sound interesting. I read his book about Jesus, and like it for the most part. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this book. I hope I get to read it sometime.