April 27, 2011

Just Enough

I practically giggled, telling him of the latest item in my ever-growing repertoire of homemade household items. His eyes caught mine in the mirror. What a difference 18 years makes, he said. I never expected that you would be making so many things.

The truth of his statement cuts to the insecure part of my heart, stinging. I look up to see the admiration in his eyes.  It covers the hurt, soon forgotten. The truth is, no one is more surprised than I at the changes wrought in our lives, in my life. The young girl he married - brash and loud - turned up her nose at the word frugal. She was far too busy wanting to be somebody to think about cutting corners and looking well after her household.

People change.

Life changes.

The calendar hurdles toward the one year anniversary of my man's last day of work. I am still completely amazed at how God has proven Himself time and time again. Life is not perfect because we are not. Yet this path we never would have chosen is. We are living Romans 8:28 every day.  For it is good to have enough.


Too much breeds greed and idolatry.

Too little breeds resentment and envy.

In His sovereign wisdom, God has given us enough.

...enough to cover the bills.

...enough to have some fun.

...enough to support His work.

...enough not to worry about where our next meal will come from.

...enough to know just how much we need to rely on Him for our sustenance, because He is more than enough.

Two things I ask of you;
deny them not to me before I die:
Remove far from me falsehood and lying;
give me neither poverty nor riches;
feed me with the food that is needful for me,
lest I be full and deny you
and say, "Who is the LORD?"
or lest I be poor and steal
and profane the name of my God.
~Proverbs 30: 7-9 (ESV)
(emphasis mine)

7 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

Beautiful words, beautiful heart. God is always just right, always enough.

Trisha said...

Lovely words reflecting His truth, Melissa. Thank you.

Ann Kroeker said...

When my husband and I married, I was pretty good at broiling a hot dog in the toaster oven. I've come a long way since those hot dog days. :)

And, those skills I slowly acquired and developed have helped us live on one income even when we added several kids in a row, stretching that income with each addition.

It's good to read about how you've grown and God's used that growth to bless your family.

Jill said...

Thinking of you sweet friend! Hugs!

Nikole Hahn said...

So true. What's even more amazing is how God has us grow together with our spouses.

Carrie said...

Wow, has it been almost a year?! That seems incredible and unbelievable and amazing! Look at how much God has been teaching you! I've loved learning alongside you as you've walked this path.

Customized Essay said...

Words are such treasure & you have proved that..