October 22, 2009

Despair

We learned today that R's company is closing down the local plant in a few short months. He is one of 1,100 employees (in a community of 8,800) to be let go. This news, and the trickle down effect that will follow, is devastating to our town.

This has been one of the toughest days of my life. Losing a job is one thing in this economy. Seeing almost every family I know suffer through the same circumstance is completely overwhelming. There certainly won't be 1,100 jobs here. Moving would mean taking a gigantic hit on our house, as I'm sure the housing market here just tanked. Most employees have been there since graduating high school. Many don't have trades. Praise Jesus, R has an Associates Degree and building skills.

Things look bleak right now. But through it all, I know God will provide. Maybe not in the way we expect, want or like...but He will take care of us.

When I started 2009 as the Year of Trust and Obedience, I had no idea it would look like this. I'm surprised, but He isn't. That's the hope I cling to.





9 comments:

Thena said...

When one door closes another one opens. He said He would never leave us nor forsake us.

Leah said...

Still praying...

Jamie said...

I'm so sorry! This has got to be tough. Keep clinging to Him...our only hope.

secondofwett said...

Very sorry that you are thrust into this difficult time...will pray for you and your community.

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Your faith is such a beautiful testimony, Melissa. Praying. He has a plan already...praying for you as you seek him to know it.

jenmom said...

Oh sweet girl! Can I testify to you of the fact that we serve Jehovah-Jireh, a God who provides! My husband and I are living testimonies of that fact. You are so right. God is NOT surprised by this one bit. I will be anxiously waiting to see how God will work in your family and community's lives through this devastating circumstance.

We are a one income Ministry family and to say it has been paycheck to paycheck would be understating the matter. There have been times I did not know where gas and grocery money was coming and EVERY TIME God has been faithful to us! We haven't always had things just like we'd want them, but I can't say we have one day gone without ANYTHING we truly needed.

It has been so sweet to learn to completely trust in God ALONE!

I'll be praying for you and your family.
Jennifer

His Girl said...

oh my sweet friend, we are all praying for you here in SoCal. Can't even imagine how, but I know that God will provide. This is going to be the coolest testimony!!!

mer@lifeat7000feet said...

I've been praying for you, Melissa. We lived a few years of trust and obedience after John stepped away from ministry and moved in a different career direction. It was scary. And it was hard. But God was (is) faithful and he is Good.

morninglight mama said...

Melissa, I'm so sorry to hear this news. My husband went through three jobs in three years because of downsizing and the loss of grant funding. It was extremely stressful and definitely took its toll on us. I wish you and your husband strength and much luck!!