September 13, 2011

Autumn Upon Us

The canning pot is temporarily resting, in anticipation of apples and pears that will soon arrive. The kitchen table has been converted to CJ's study area. A laptop and a stack of books rest on the dining table more often than not. We slip back into the routine that my soul needs. Autumn - with its crisp days, candle-lit evenings, and brilliant hues - is soon due. Anticipation of its arrival washes over me.

My girl has started her third and final year of middle school. I think back to the beginning of her first year. We were coasting along in life, blissfully unaware that our world was about to be turned upside down. I remember how God brought us through the initial shock, and how He helped us prepare for a new life.  I can't help but think of last year, as she started her second year of middle school while we were adjusting to R being back in college. I recall how hard that first semester was, and offer yet another thanks to God for His precious grace.

And so we stand, at the beginning of the end. In three short months, we'll be celebrating a graduation and, Lord willing, a new job. Trepidation threatens to creep back into my days. Yet I know whom I have believed, and I am trusting, trusting...

3 comments:

Teresa said...

I love autumn, it's my favorite time of year. You write about it so beautifully, it makes me think of crunching leaves and pumpkin pies! Praying for you guys, as much as there is a touch of sadness when these little ones (and big ones too!) go back to school, there is much joy to be found in the anticipation of what God is doing through their lives. Thank you for allowing us a brief glimpse into what He is doing in your family. Love and blessings sweet Sister in Christ!

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

Oh, I remember when our dining room table was covered with stacks of books and papers more often than with family meals... :) I think it made the celebration of that graduation at the end so much sweeter!! Enjoy the last 3 months! Praying for you.

jenmom said...

Praying and trusting with you friend. My Cecily is in eighth grade also. Middle school is a difficult time under the best of circumstances. She really struggled her sixth grade year.
Will be praying especially for your CJ today that this final year of middle school will be a blessed one!