August 18, 2006

Just So You Know...

After my earlier post about the trials we've faced, I felt a little guilty. Like I was trying to convince people that I'm some sort of "Super Christian" and I'm NOT. Really. Truly. Not. God reminded me of that last night. And being the honest sort, I have to share with you the last week of my life.

When we were packing for vacation, R's truck wouldn't start. Four hours from home and too much luggage and beach paraphernalia to fit in my SUV...well, I was praying hard. CJ was wearing a t-shirt that day that read, "My Dad Rules". I needed that shirt, because after a phone call to MY dad, R can now hot-wire a truck (my dad is a mechanic, NOT a car thief). Dad was able to talk him through getting it started and not cutting it off til we got to a friend's house much closer to home. (We got it home, and he fixed it for $20...yea!)

Yesterday morning, I found water under the washing machine. I'll admit, I've been wanting a new washer/dryer combo for a while. You know, the pretty kind that will actually make me want to do laundry. Our dryer has been limping along for a few months, and I'm surprised the washer has lasted this long. Still, I was hoping to put them to rest when we wanted to, not when we had to. And certainly not right after vacation, right after buying school clothes and paying house & car insurance, for cryin' out loud!

Next, we had the cable fiasco. (Still not fixed. Just don't ask where I am while I'm blogging this!).

Then, R's truck wouldn't start when he was leaving for work last night.

To top it all off, my throat hurts & I'm starting to feel run down.

God must be planning something big, because Satan is certainly trying to discourage me! Or maybe he's just responding to the engraved invitation I gave him. Whatever the case, I'm nearly undone. You see, I can handle the BIG stuff. Illness, death, miscarriage. Those aren't so hard to deal with because I know there's no way to get through it except give it to God. But it's in the everyday hindrances, interruptions, and frustrations that I stumble. The things I think I should be able to control (okay, the things I want to control). These are the biggest obstacle in my walk with Jesus, in my daily living out my faith, in my witness to others.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Even though I felt my world was crashing down last night, God has been faithful. I was able to use my parents' computer to take care of my Southern Living business last night. R's truck started fine this morning. God has provided for us to get the washer and dryer (I would say it was unexpected...but we really should have expected Him to come through!). A friend who's moved away is coming to town & we're having lunch. The cable people are coming today. And it's Friday. Life is good.

In the words of that great psychiatrist, Frasier Crane, "Thanks for listening."

6 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Most of us do, and since most of us do, most of us will be praying for you today - to get over the hump. Of laundry, bills, Tv, sore throat, and whatever else may strike at a moments notice.

How about if we talk about points, etc AFTER the weekend. You hold me accountable, even when we're not emailing, sort of like a Jiminy Cricket on my shoulder, you are. xoxoxo

Jennifer said...

I feel that way a lot. Like you, I know I can't make it through the big things without God, but I always try to do the little stuff on my own. Silly, isn't it.

Shalee said...

Yes I feel like that often. But I think that is why God allows things like that to happen, so that I can remember to fall on my knees and give him everything, not just the biggies.

But I don't think there is an washer/dryer on earth that will make me want to do laundry...

Barb said...

Sorry but appliances never ever go out when you want them to, only right after you paid a ton of big bills. And sorry again but I bought a beautiful washer-dryer set and doing laundry was fun for about fifteen minutes.

Yep. Everyone feels overwhelmed like this from time to time. You've had a rough week. The cable thing alone would have sent me over the edge. But you said one little thing that made me envy you. Beach paraphernalia. Sigh...

Brenda said...

Yep, been there many times. I'm learning to depend on Him for the little things too. You wouldn't think it'd be all that hard, but it is. So glad He's faithful!

I, too, am quite sure there's no such animal as a washer/dryer that'll make me want to do laundry.

Unknown said...

Sometimes we ALL need a reality check to remind us that our circumstances are not as bad as they seem. I think you being honest and revealing how you "really" feel will make you feel tons better. AND God can use the "real" stuff! Thanks for sharing your heart.