May 16, 2007

Sing Over Me

Although I no longer sing in the church choir, music is an important part of my life. It has the power to change my mood, make me smile, or calm me at the end of a particularly stressful day. I identify songs with certain times in my life. Sometimes the bond is so strong, that just to hear a song will bring memories flooding back in an instant.

I'm so glad God created music, and He's given us some wonderfully talented artists. Like her. And him. And let's not forget her. Or him. And, even though I don't agree with his politics, I just love this guy's music.

God often speaks to me through music. I think that's why this week's 40 by 40 is one of my favorite verses in the Bible:

The Lord your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing.
-Zephaniah 3:17


I started writing this post last week, before my mom was taken to the hospital and admitted to ICU. When I was thinking about this verse then, I imagined God's voice to be a little like Yo-Yo Ma on the cello...soothing, beautiful and peaceful. It's hard for me to conceive that the music of Heaven could be much more...Heavenly. Yet God's music, though we may not recognize it, is so much more.

One of my dearest friends is an emergency room doctor. A couple of weeks ago, we were lamenting how she had to work Mother's Day and miss time with her precious son. When my dad called Sunday morning to let me know my mom was in the ER, I was so thankful my friend was there to take care of her. God was singing when I got to the ER and my friend was there to hug me, cry with me, tell me she loves me, and tell my mom she was praying for her.

God was singing when I realized the nurse assigned to my mom (who's not a believer) is also a Christian.

God was singing as He worked out CJ's care...arrangements I had made without knowing what would be coming. Last week, He carefully orchestrated the details so that I wouldn't have to worry about her Sunday morning or after school this week.

He was most definitely singing over me as I cried myself to sleep Sunday night.

So many times, I'm looking for God to show up in big, monumental ways. I want that burning bush experience and feel disappointed when I don't get it.

This week, I've learned that if I just listen, I can hear Him even when I don't see Him. He's singing through the laughter, the weeping, and even the monitors and hushed voices of the ICU. It may not always be what we want to hear...but it's always beautiful.

It's the music of our lives.


Melissa

7 comments:

Betty's Loosing Race said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I hope your mom is okay. I love how God goes before us and works out the details of our needs, before we know what they are.

Praying for you today!

Sista Cala said...

What a precious testimony to the faithful presence of the Almighty.
I'm reminded of the verse,.."I'll never leave you nor forsake you.."

Military Mommy said...

What a beautiful post, Melissa.

I know exactly what you are talking about with the music. I have always been very easily moved by music.

This post is particularly poignant for me.

Praying for you and your mom. Big hugs to you for a restful weekend.
Michelle

Julie said...

Beautiful post. I loved the music.

I hope your mom is better soon.

blessings,
Julie

Military Mommy said...

Melissa -

Please thank your brother-in-law for his service. I am so thankful for men like him.

Thank you for your sweet comments.

Hugs, Michelle

Anonymous said...

Music...especially words of God's message can be so calming. I know that when I can't sleep from worry, or fear...I start singing hymns. I miss them in church sometimes and wish we sang them more often. There are there when I need them.

I hope that your mom is on the road to recovery....and that all of God's care givers are helping her to see his love!!!

Hugs,
Kelli

Sara at Miller Moments: said...

THIS was beautiful! Thank you...