October 26, 2007

An Eye Opener

That night all the people of the community raised their voices and wept aloud. All the Israelites grumbled against Moses and Aaron, and the whole assembly said to them, "If only we had died in Egypt! Or in this desert! Why is the LORD bringing us to this land only to let us fall by the sword? Our wives and children will be taken as plunder. Wouldn't it be better for us to go back to Egypt?" And they said to each other, "We should choose a leader and go back to Egypt."
~~~~~
So the men Moses had sent to explore the land, who returned and made the whole community grumble against him by spreading a bad report about it-these men responsible for spreading the bad report about the land were struck down and died of a plague before the LORD. Of the men who went to explore the land, only Joshua son of Nun and Caleb son of Jephunneh survived.
When Moses reported this to all the Israelites, they mourned bitterly. Early the next morning they went up toward the high hill country. "We have sinned," they said. "We will go up to the place the LORD promised."
But Moses said, "Why are you disobeying the LORD's command? This will not succeed! Do not go up, because the LORD is not with you. You will be defeated by your enemies, for the Amalekites and Canaanites will face you there. Because you have turned away from the LORD, he will not be with you and you will fall by the sword."
Nevertheless, in their presumption they went up toward the high hill country, though neither Moses nor the ark of the LORD's covenant moved from the camp. Then the Amalekites and Canaanites who lived in that hill country came down and attacked them and beat them down all the way to Hormah.
--Numbers 14:1-4, 36-45


As I read this, I heard Him whisper...Delayed obedience is actually disobedience in disguise.

8 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

OUCH!!!!! Hit the spot, unfortunately. I hate it when that happens. I imagine He, however,loves it. xoox

Susannah said...

Wonderful! Convicting. Lol, maybe better late than never... :~)

Holly said...

Women of Faith this weekend??? Praying Melissa! Can't wait to hear all about it :)
Love in Him,
Holly

Heather C said...

Amen and Amen. Thanks for the reminder!

Heather

Donnetta said...

OW... what a challenge to evaluate the timing of my own obedience.

Rachel Anne said...

Sometimes I find that I try and put off obeying because I think it is going to cost me too much. I think God isn't going to come through for me. I'm right in the middle of being obedient and waiting for God to "hold up His end of the bargain." Pretty self centered, I guess. Anyway, I'm taking it one day at a time and laying down my expectations so that He can do whatever HE wants.

Thanks so much for this reminder.

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Ouch...delayed obedience is actually diobedience in disguise....

Well said, Melissa, well said...

Thanks for the reminder.

Melissa @ Mel's World

Kate said...

We are in Matthew and have spent some time with Joseph. Now there is an example of IMMEDIATE obedience.

(I like this David Crowder song too. We must have similar taste in music.)

Kate