November 19, 2007

Giving In

R was catching a nap before going to work. I was alone on the sofa. Commercial break.

I'll just flip the channel for a minute. I'm not going to get caught up in it. Just a peek, to see what's going on this season.

And so with one push of a button, I gave in to the temptation. I decided, for one split second, that I could have something the Lord had instructed me to give up. I wanted just a taste. What was the harm?

I pressed the remote. The channel changed. The screen literally faded to black and cut to commercial just as I was tuning in.

I knew Someone was working.


He holds victory in store for the upright,
he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,
for he guards the course of the just
and protects the way of his faithful ones.
Then you will understand what is right and just
and fair—every good path.
--Proverbs 2:7-9

Praise God! He protected me from myself! He shielded and guarded me. Although I'm far from blameless and faithful, I'm trying so very hard to be. I want to get to the Promised Land! I don't want to let Him down. My spirit was strong, but my flesh was weak. I'm so humbled and grateful that my Father took care of it for me. He knew that even one minute would have pulled me back down into the pit. I'm so glad He didn't let me fall. He gave me strength to change the channel and be obedient.

It only took about 15 seconds for me to realize "what is right and just and fair". My feet are firmly on the good path He's planned for me. Not by MY might, but by His.

Now THAT's something to be thankful for!

7 comments:

Susannah said...

I praise God that sometimes He does protects us from ourselves. I'm glad he kept you from disobeying in an area he had previously spoken to you about. Those areas of temptation are different for each one of us, aren't they? :~D

Hugs 'n prayers, e-Mom

Unknown said...

That is a wonderful testimony to God's power to help us do what He's told us to do. Good for you!

I'm so glad that Mercy Me song is playing. I love them, and I never bought that CD. . . .

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

Good for you! Praise God for His faithfulness to us.....

Laura said...

TV watching (specially certain shows) is an area I could certainly use some improvement. Thank you for sharing the scripture verse.

Alana said...

Awesome testimony of victory!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

God is so good! Isn't it amazing how he protects those He loves so that we can follow through on His plan for our lives? What a amazing testimony to His protection of you.

PS - How is the 40x40 going?

Anonymous said...

Hi! I was linked to your site from a friend's blogroll. Just wanted to say I am inspired and will definitely visit again. As a matter of fact, I'm going to link you to my blogroll. Please visit me at touchofglory.wordpress.com. I'm a new blogger, but I'm learning a little more each day. God Bless! Melissa H.