March 22, 2008

Perspective

The LORD said to Moses, "Give this command to the Israelites and say to them: 'See that you present to me at the appointed time the food for my offerings made by fire, as an aroma pleasing to me.' Say to them: 'This is the offering made by fire that you are to present to the LORD: two lambs a year old without defect, as a regular burnt offering each day...On the first day of every month, present to the Lord a burnt offering of two young bulls, one ram and seven male lambs a year old, all without defect.
--Numbers 28:1-3, 11



Two lambs a day seems like a meager sacrifice for sin. Even the monthly sacrifice of 10 animals is a small price to pay.

I gossipped, but it's okay because my husband took our lamb to the priest this morning.

I cheated my fellow countryman, but I was the first one at the Tabernacle this morning, so I'm covered.

I coveted my brother's wife. Sure am glad I paid my sacrifice today!


Pretty convenient, isn't it?

And yet, there were 601,730 Israelite men over 20 years old (see Numbers 26:51).

1,203,460 lambs sacrificed every day.

6,017,300 animals slaughtered on the first day of each month to pay for the sins of their masters.

And it wasn't enough.

The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!
--John 1:29


May you know Him and the glorious power of His resurrection this Easter weekend.

5 comments:

Janelle said...

WOW! That took my breath away.

Alana said...

Stunning word picture of our Savior's sacrifice!

Beautiful!

Heather C said...

I am so thankful for the Lamb! Thanks for the perspective, Melissa!

Heather

Julie said...

WOW - the sheer volume is overwhelming. Thank GOD for Jesus ultimate sacrifice.

Mary@notbefore7 said...

Wow - never did the math on that one. Unbelievable - sure makes us look at the ultimate sacrafice differently!