January 16, 2008

Commitment to a Simple Life, #2

God recently brought me to the realization/conviction that enough is enough. I'm tired of having so much stuff controlling my life. Taking my cue from Joanne, I've decided to surround myself with only those things I absolutely love. Since I took down the Christmas decorations, I haven't put my everyday items back in place. I'm carefully considering what's valuable enough to take up space in my home.

R is soon leaving on his mission trip. He's going to come back to a new home. I've taken that week off so that I can go through every cabinet, bookshelf and closet to clear out the clutter. If I don't absolutely love it, it's going to the consignment shop!

I honestly cannot wait. I'm ready to be free.

11 comments:

Mary@notbefore7 said...

I can't wait to hear about the result of your focusing. Free from the things of this world...a great place to be...making space for God!

PS - I'll answer your Breathe question. The short version is YES! I LOVE IT! GREAT BOOK!, but I'll give more detail as soon as I can!

Janelle said...

Sounds like a terrific and productive week. Have fun!

Alana said...

You go girl!

Laura said...

Fantastic! This is going to make such a huge difference in your life. I'm so excited for you :)

Laura

Deidre said...

Oh, I need to do this. There is so much I toss out as soon as it comes in the house, but I still have a lot I could get rid of. I can't wait to hear about your week :)

Kimberly said...

Hi! I have your page bookmarked, but have never left a message! Your blog is so refreshing! Thank you for sharing your love of the Lord and your love for life.
I SO need to do a clean sweep through my home. Oh, how I long for some simplicity. But...do I long for it enough to do something?
We'll see! :)
Thanks for sharing with us!
Love,
Kimberly

Anonymous said...

Thanks for visiting my blog! I haven't watched Persuasion yet because I want to read the book. I did record it. I have read Northanger Abbey. The movie version I saw was good (I don't know what version will be on PBS), but the book is much funnier.

Good luck with your simplification process! Getting rid of the things we don't need is so freeing!

Melissa in Mel's World said...

Melissa,

That is so completely awesome!!! I can't wait to hear (and maybe see) what you come up with at the end of the week!

Melissa in Mel's World

Unknown said...

Girl, just reading your list of January projects makes me want to go lay down and take a nap...lol
Have fun with it! It always feels so great to be able to check things off the list...

:)

Lisa

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

EVERY closet, bookshelf, cabinet?!

You go, girl!

Joanne

Jennifer said...

What a great idea. I've slowly been doing this, but I wish I had the time to really tackle everything in the house and THROW IT OUT!!! I, too, am sick of all the STUFF around here. It drives me crazy!