January 31, 2008

Progress Report, Day 5

My week at home is winding down. Returning to work may be a welcome break!

Today I finished our master closet and re-purposed the 1/2 bath closet so that it now houses my cleaning supplies.

This week's combined tally (drumroll, please...)


Boxes to Consignment: NINE! Sadly, I haven't touched CJ's area or the attic. But let me tell you how GREAT it felt to drop those boxes on someone else's doorstep. Still, the icing on the cake was taking a truckload of trash to the dumpster tonight.

Most Difficult to Part With: Still can't think of anything that I'm sad to see gone. I'm much to happy with the things I "found"...Grandma's baskets, a couple of silk scarves that R's aunt brought me from China (which I've now displayed under glass), and a pair of pewter candlesticks we received as a wedding gift.

Rewards: Enjoying the important things we have, rather than focusing on the "stuff" that was crowding everything. Knowing where things are. Realizing I can let go of things without too much effort.


Although I'm only about half-way done, I've gotten such a wonderful start that I'm determined to keep it going...starting next week. Tomorrow is cleaning day (de-cluttering is messy!), and then I'll enjoy the weekend with CJ and welcome R home. I hope he can see and feel the difference in our home. The vision of peace is becoming more of a reality every day.

6 comments:

Janelle said...

I would love to see pictures of all your hard work. Especially your new treasures.

Enjoy your peaceful home. Your husband will be delighted!

Kimberly said...

Hey!
I am so blessed by your heart for your family. I love stopping by your place, and I am always encouraged. I wanted to share that with my friends. I posted about you and other bloggy ladies I love today, not so you have to pass anything on. I honestly just wanted to spread the word about your blog!
Love and Blessings to you as you conquer your home!
Kimberly

Alana said...

That's so great, Melissa. I'm proud of you for persevering. I hope your hubby appreciates all the hard work and that he had a wonderful trip...he's been working hard, too, huh?

Chris @ Come to the Table said...

I would imagine it feels wonderful to have accomplished so much!

Blessings on your weekend sweet friend.

Joanne : The Simple Wife said...

Wow, Melissa, I read all of your days at once and am just so amazed at all you've accomplished in such a short time.

The think that stands out to me is that there's nothing that was too difficult to part with. And that the result is what you see is what you love!

Thinking there's a closet or two (or three or four) that could use some attention around here!

Joanne

Girl Raised in the South said...

Decluttering IS messy, but it sure feels good when the piles go away. The trashman is one of my favorite guys lately - I haul massive stuff up there, hide behind the curtains when he pulls up, then he magically takes it all away and I'm thankful every single week to see it all gone. Good for you for making such great progress!