July 16, 2010

Just Do Something

I just finished reading Just Do Something: How to Make a Decision Without Dreams, Visions, Fleeces, Open Doors, Random Bible Verses, Casting Lots, Liver Shivers, Writing in the Sky, etc. by Kevin DeYoung (I posted the entire title because I think it's rather humorous!).  I cannot recommend this book enough. DeYoung challenged me to quit making excuses, step out of my comfort zone, and finally realize that following God is much more simple than I was making it out to be. Note, I said simple and not easy.

...don't assume that the relative ease or difficulty of a new situation is God's way of telling you to do one thing or the other. Remember, God's will for your life is your sanctification, and God tends to use discomfort and trials more than comfort and ease to make us holy. (pp.78-79)

Which is probably why I agreed to teach the 3-year old class at our upcoming Vacation Bible School. For those who know me even a little, this prospect has most likely reduced you to tears from laughing so hard. This is not my preferred area of ministry AT.ALL. In fact I'd been dodging the idea of helping at VBS, even though I'd taken the week off from work. I was going to enjoy being in the adult class for a change. Then our sweet VBS director called in desperation (obviously, if she asked me!)  I agreed to check with R and see if he would be willing to help. I knew I couldn't do this alone, and I wasn't going to volunteer him without asking him first. He, being a kid at heart, thought it was a wonderful idea. How could I argue? Instead of cowering behind my usual excuse of "I'll pray about it" (translation: "I'll pray that someone else will do it."), I'm taking the opportunity to meet a need and obey my husband. I'm praying they'll become habits.

The most important decision we face is the daily decision to live for Christ and die to self. (p. 63)

Which, strange as it may seem, is why I'm stepping back from teaching the girls next year. R is wisely taking a break from teaching the boys so that he can concentrate on his studies. He's still serving in several other areas of ministry, but making this change will allow us to be in Sunday School together. We haven't been in a class together full-time in 15 years, so this will be a fantastic treat. I'm going to teach the girls once a month because I adore them and want to be a part of their lives. But I must take my focus off what I want to do. My first priority must be to support and encourage my husband in every way possible, to be his helpmeet. He wants to get connected and serve in an adult Sunday School class, and I want to serve alongside him. It's not about where I'm serving, just that I am.

Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own. Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.
~Philippians 3:12-14(ESV)