February 3, 2011

Behind the Label

Once I started reading the labels on boxes, I stopped buying them.  The lists of ingredients I couldn't pronounce frightened me. No longer fooled by clever packaging and unproven claims, I saw them for the imitations they are. I determined that artificial is no longer good enough.

Trips to the grocery store take longer because I am still investigating packages to find what's best for my family. It's worth the time. I've become wise enough not to trust the product label. I search to see what's inside.

Labels are deceiving. They make us believe we know what we see. I think about how many times I've bought something - food, theology, relationships - based upon its label without considering all the ingredients.  I've allowed labels, rather than the actual contents, to define my choices.

The belittling words of a respected church leader still ring in my ears, sting my heart. He applied the label with a nervous chuckle that did little to hide his lack of understanding. My feeble reply came soft.  Then, unwilling and too weak to argue, I seized the first opportunity to escape.

Did the labels stick to Jesus' heart the way this one is sticking to mine?

Since that hurtful conversation, I read  some wonderfully wise words written by John Piper. I am studying them, along with the Scriptures listed, to prepare myself to make a defense for the hope in me (see 1 Peter 3:15). 

I don't know if I will have the courage to face the one who categorized me, but I do know that I am more than a congregant of a particular church. I am more than a member of a particular denomination.  I am more than a believer in a particular theological school of thought. 

I am so much more than a label.

I long to be, as Piper so eloquently writes, a [r]adical, full-blooded, Bible-saturated, Christ-exalting, God-centered, mission-advancing, soul-winning, church-loving, holiness-pursuing, sovereignty-savoring, grace-besotted, broken-hearted, happy follower of the omnipotent, crucified ChristAnything else is not good enough.

I have not attained it, but I keep pressing on. In the meanwhile, I find solace in the words of my Sovereign, who looks behind the label.
For the LORD sees not as man sees: man looks on the outward appearance, but the LORD looks on the heart. ~1 Samuel 16:7 (ESV)

3 comments:

jenmom said...

It never ceases to amaze me that these kinds of assaults often come at the hands of "church" leaders! Praying for you as you prepare to give this one a reason for the hope that is in you!

Nikole Hahn said...

I don't know what catagory that person labeled you in, but obviously it hurt you deeply. I enjoyed reading your blog today. SO much hurt and yet so much healing.

"I don't know if I will have the courage to face the one who categorized me, but I do know that I am more than a congregant of a particular church. I am more than a member of a particular denomination. I am more than a believer in a particular theological school of thought."

Anna Wood said...

Your dignity, born of faith and truth, is evident. Your goal is the only one worth pursuing. Your example, precious. The one who labeled you also labeled himself as one without understanding. Thank you for sharing this.