May 9, 2011

One Year Later - The Final Steps, Part I

One year ago today, we were counting down the final week of R's unemployment. One week until a new life began. One year from today, we'll be two-thirds of the way through our journey, we told ourselves. It seemed so far in the distance.

And yet here we are.

In this past year, God has taught us so much. I keep saying that, I know. I also know my words fall flat, in no way adequate to describe His goodness. I've come to realize that all I can do is proclaim that He is good and we are standing only by His grace and mercy. 

One year ago today, my fingers took to the keyboard to tell the story of our old life before we journeyed into the new one. I had no idea just how far we would come...

When R & I married, I was six months into a new job. He was a part-time carpenter and part-time student. We lived in a small apartment filled with hand-me-down furniture and wedding gifts. Friday night Chinese food and a rented movie was our weekly splurge.

One day, we decided to tour the homes R's boss was constructing. Beautiful, I thought. I'd love to have a house like this.

After that we spent many Saturdays visiting different houses, each watering the seeds of envy and discontent growing in my heart.

A few months later R's boss offered us a great price on a house he was just starting. Our mortgage would be little more than our monthly rent. A good investment, we said. Paint colors and carpet samples consumed my thoughts. I wanted our first home to be perfect.

Meanwhile, R was realizing that being a husband, a part-time employee and a part-time student (at a university an hour away) was no piece of cake. He eagerly accepted an offer to work full-time and packed up his school books.

Seven months later, we moved into our new home. Those seeds of envy and discontent, quietly resting under the surface, soon found company in pride and greed. When they burst forth, I didn't recognize them for the weeds that they were. Instead of yanking them out by their roots, I searched for ways to nurture them.

To be continued...

*from the archives

No comments: