February 12, 2013

Around the House: February

These days I am:

~Enjoying the seasonal temperatures, which have been seldom and fleeting. Like much of the country, the weather in Virginia has been extremely unpredictable.

~Cheering as my girl plays indoor field hockey.  I still don't understand the rules, but I do enjoy watching.

~Thankful for God's grace in difficult conversations with my girl. Being the mother of a teenage daughter isn't for the faint of heart. As awkward and uncomfortable as these talks are (for both of us), they are necessary and good. (I did say I needed to grow in my willingness to do hard things!).

~Learning a lot about John Quincy Adams . Despite his fascinating career (he served under George Washington, and was a member of Congress - with Abraham Lincoln - AFTER he was President), he is still overshadowed by his parents.

~Pondering the Lamb of God on my way to work each morning, as I pass by a pasture of grazing sheep and newborn lambs. His sacrifice for my atonement fills me with wonder and gratitude.

~Anticipating a weekend away with a group of ladies of the iron-sharpening sort.

~Starting a commonplace book.  I love this idea and am thankful to Trisha for introducing me me to this practice.

~Thankful that my Dad is a talented & willing auto mechanic.

~Snuggling with my man and watching Inspector Lewis. I'm hoping to try Foyle's War or Wallander next.

~Wondering if I'll find my writing chops so I can start blogging with some regularity again. Perhaps I'll start sharing entries from my commonplace book and why they resonate with me.

2 comments:

Jessica Kramasz said...

While I don't have any daughters, I can sure relate to those difficult teenage conversations with my son. Growing up is hard to do - for both of us :-)
I can't wait for the weekend away!

Lisa notes... said...

I think sharing entries from your commonplace book is a great idea! Would love to see the things that stand out to you.

Teen girls. Yikes. :-) And it doesn't end at 19. Today I offered to help my 23-yr-old daughter move this weekend. She doesn't want to inconvenience us, she said, but I reminded her that she is our child and we WANT to help. She quickly added that she's our ADULT child though. Ha. It's hard walking the line with girls. Maybe the same with boys, too, but since I had all girls, that's all I know.

May God bless those talks with your girl!