August 14, 2006

I'm BAAACK!!!

I'm home! It was good to sleep in my own bed for a change, but I'm suffering from withdrawal from the salt air! We had a fabulous time, and I can't wait for next year. This was our first family vacation in 6 years (I know, I know) and it was a gigantic blessing from Him!

I'm still cleaning out cobwebs from my brain...as I didn't tax my brain beyond reading "The Secret Life of Becky Miller" (GREAT, FUNNY book that hit too close to home!) and playing Yahtzee. But, I found this old writing of mine...and wanted to share.

It's good to be back in blogging world.

“So he [Zacchaeus] ran ahead and climbed a sycamore-fig tree to see him, since Jesus was coming that way.” --Luke 19:4


I never was much of a tree-climber. While other kids in my neighborhood would scoot up the branches without care, I rarely went higher than the first branch. I didn’t trust the limbs to hold me. I liked having my feet on the ground. And I didn’t need to climb a tree to see what was going on around me.

Zacchaeus was short. So short, he couldn’t see over the crowds gathering by the roadside to watch as Jesus walked by. He was curious to see what Jesus looked like. In fact, he was so curious that he climbed up a tree to get a bird’s-eye view. Imagine, a grown man shimmying up a tree just to see someone walking by! But this was no ordinary someone. Undoubtedly, Zacchaeus had heard much about this man who was performing miracles and turning the Pharisees’ world of religious law upside down. He had to get a closer look. He didn’t want to rely on what other people would tell him about Jesus. He wanted to see Jesus for himself.

Zacchaeus didn’t climb the tree so Jesus would see him. He didn’t want to be noticed. He just wanted a better view. But in his eagerness to see Jesus, Zacchaeus put himself in a position for Jesus to see and acknowledge him. He put himself in the path of God’s will. Jesus said “I must stay at your house today” (v, 5, emphasis mine). The original Greek translates “must” as “a necessity in reference to what is required to attain some end; a necessity of law and command, of duty”. God had already planned for Jesus to go to Zacchaeus’ home that day. How effective would it have been if Jesus simply yelled out over the crowd? Because Zacchaeus had climbed the tree, Jesus was able to look up, into the eyes of Zacchaeus, and issue a personal invitation to him.

Zacchaeus didn’t hesitate to obey Jesus’ command. He came down quickly. No longer a spectator, he was about to enjoy fellowship with the Living God! Jesus calls us to an active faith. We’re not supposed to just stand around and look at Him. He invites us to bring Him into our hearts and homes, and to serve Him. In return, we are blessed with His sweet fellowship.

The crowd was appalled that Jesus would choose to “be the guest of a ‘sinner’ “ (v. 7). Notice that Jesus didn’t wait for Zacchaeus to repent before calling him down from the tree. Still, He knew when he summoned Zacchaeus that the tax collector would have a change of heart. Zacchaeus repented of his sin. Maybe he realized he couldn’t have true fellowship with Jesus until he had done so. Maybe he promised to return the money because he wanted so much to please Jesus. Whatever the reason, this encounter with Jesus was life-changing.

Dear One, are you afraid to climb a tree to get a better look at Jesus? Are you far too dignified to put yourself in a position that others may find silly? Are you satisfied listening to how others describe Him, rather than seeing Him for yourself? Perhaps you’re afraid He will notice you and call on you in front of everyone … that He will look straight into your eyes and ask too much of you. Or has He invited you, but you’re too scared to climb down and join Him? Are you reluctant to give up your past so that you can enjoy true fellowship with the Lord of lords? Are you ready to have a life-changing experience with the Almighty God?

Jesus desires to come to your house – and mine – and fellowship with us, but He will not come if He is not wanted. Zacchaeus welcomed Him with open arms and an open heart. Will you?

3 comments:

Girl Raised in the South said...

Funny - this is the story I heard preaching on this weekend. The sermon was on tolerance, but you've given it yet another spin. More food for thought, when I thought I was already full! We being on WW, that's a good thing :-)

Sarah said...

Welcome back! And yay for climbing spiritual trees!

Sharon Hinck said...

Greetings!
I'm SO glad you enjoyed THE SECRET LIFE OF BECKY MILLER and that it was a good vacation read for you.

I'm thinking I need to write a book about Becky Miller on a long vacation (so I could justify a vacation as a research trip) LOL!

Blessings!
Sharon