June 13, 2007

Serious Business

This is Day 4 of the Obedience Series. If you're just joining me, catch up before reading further.

Through Deuteronomy 4, God has shown me that obedience is simple, it's my testimony, and how I must sacrifice to be obedient. In this chapter, Moses is pleading with the Israelites to be obedient. Moses had toyed with disobedience and lost. God's punishment was to prohibit him from entering the Promised Land. Was Moses' disobedience was trivial? Did it warrant the punishment God doled out?


The Lord said to Moses, "Take the staff, and you and
yoru brother Aaron gather the assembly together. Speak to that rock before their eyes and it will pour out its water. You will bring water out of the rock for the community so they and their livestock can drink." So Moses took the staff from the Lord's presence, just as he commanded him...Then Moses raised his arm and struck the rock twice with his staff. Water gushed out,and the community and their livestock drank. But the Lord said to Moses and Aaron, "Because you did not trust in me enough to honor me as holy in the sight of the Israelites, you will not bring this community into the land I give them." -- Numbers 20:7-9, 11-12


#4 - Obedience is Serious to God. Moses obeyed the first part of the Lord's command to gather the people together, and he used the rock to bring forth the water. His trouble came because he didn't want to just speak to the rock, he wanted a dramatic display. Was he trying to bring glory to God or to himself? It doesn't matter, because he didn't do what God told him.

We can't compromise with God. There's no negotiating when it comes to obedience. If He asks me to serve in the church nursery and I offer to be an adult Sunday School teacher instead, I'm being disobedient. I can't expect Him to be happy with my disobedience, even if it is cleverly veiled as service. I also can't expect Him to bless my effort. It may be good, but it won't be best because it's not what He ordained.

Moses' disobedient heart was getting in the way of the journey into the Promised Land. God knew what struggles lie ahead and that Israel would need someone who obeyed without question. Unfortunately, Moses was not that leader.

How many opportunities have I missed because of my own disobedience?

How many blessings will I never know because I had a rebellious and disobedient heart?

Obeying God will bring blessings into our lives. Tune in tomorrow to find out more!

Because of Jesus,
Melissa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be thinking on those questions today! I especially like the line your wrote about veiled disobedience. How often we all do that! Somehow we think if we're still doing good, it can't be disobedient, but it is.

Shelly said...

Enjoying your blog. Hopped over here from somewhere after a few clicks! :) Blessings sister