September 25, 2007

Shelter

College football is our family's fall tradition, although this year there seems to be nothing "fall-ish" about the weather. So far, we've attended three games in 85°+ heat. I didn't take sunscreen to one of the games. I underestimated the sun's power, and I came home with the worst sunburn I've had in quite a while.

Underestimating the enemy's power is just as damaging. We may think we can withstand his assaults, but we are powerless apart from God's protection.

This past weekend the Lord mercifully placed a few clouds in the sky, which allowed us a brief respite from the full sun and unbearable heat. In those few moments, hidden under the shelter of the clouds, I found relief.

Since, then, you have been raised with Christ, set your hearts on things above, where Christ is seated at the right hand of God. Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.
--Colossians 3:1-4


Following God's will offers shelter and refreshment in this hot, hostile world. Obedience isn't always fun, but it brings joy. Obedience doesn't come naturally, it is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit. Obedience doesn't guarantee that we won't have tough times, but it does promise protection. The enemy may still hurl his darts at us, but we are covered by the Almighty. We are hidden in Christ.

If that doesn't encourage us to be obedient, nothing will!

One thing I ask of the LORD,
this is what I seek:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to seek him in his temple.
For in the day of trouble
he will keep me safe in his dwelling;
he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle
and set me high upon a rock.


--Psalm 27:4-5

6 comments:

Praise and Coffee said...

Obedience does bring such a place of safety. Thank you for the reminder. And you are sooo right, it doesn't come naturally does it?!

That flesh wants to rise up, but there is such peace in submission to God!

Blessings,
Sue

Alana said...

And when we have those tough times...what a comfort to have HIM to go to!

Heather C said...

I am so thankful to be hidden in Him! I loved your analogies, Melissa... as well as your scriptures. Great stuff. Truly.

Xandra@Heart-of-Service said...

I love the idea of being "hidden" in Him....it reminds me of when my daughter is shy or scared and burrows as deep into my chest as she can get without actually being inside of me.

We are protected and sheltered by God in much the same way....what an awesome God we serve!!!

Mary@notbefore7 said...

What a beautiful passage from Psalm to begin my weekend with! God is so good.

Susannah said...

I like this: Obedience is a supernatural work of the Holy Spirit.

Nice to meet you! You might be interested to know that Marriage Monday has a new home. If you're planning to share your marriage wisdom this week (open topic) I'd love to have you link up at Chrysalis.

Blessings, e-Mom