July 4, 2008

Freedom Isn't Free


Last night during prayer time, CJ thanked the Lord for America's upcoming birthday. Afterwards, I kept pondering 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 - You are not your own; you were bought at a price. In context, Paul is speaking of treating our body as the temple of the Lord. But I was reminded that many people have paid a price for me. People like her husband, hers, and hers. And my wonderful brother-in-law, who is nearing the end of his tour overseas (Hallelujah!) There is nothing we can say to thank these families enough for the sacrifice they're making, but gratitude pours from my heart.

Today, I sit here thinking about freedom. The freedom we Americans tend to take for granted. We're entitled to it. We boast about it. We celebrate it. We misunderstand it.

We think we're free because we can choose:

~our jobs
~our children's education
~our homes
~our leaders
~our allegiances
~our words
~where we want to go
~what we want to do
~where and how we worship
~who we worship

Choices don't make us free.

The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because He has annointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor.
-- Luke 14:18-19

Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
--John 8:32

So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed.
--John 8:36

I am free. Not because I was blessed enough to be born in America, but because over 2000 years ago, Jesus bought my freedom.

Tonight, when I'm watching fireworks with my family and celebrating Uncle Sam's birthday with a piece of brownie cheesecake, I'm also going to thank God for the Red, White & Blue.

His Blood
His Righteousness
His Deity



*originally posted 7/4/2007

2 comments:

His Girl said...

great post. thanks for the reminder! happy 4th to you!

Tracy said...

Amen! Well said, Melissa! = )