July 13, 2010

In This Season

The sun beats down in constant assault. Lack of rain has caused crops to wither and fade. Summer has been brutal. And yet my family is flourishing.

CJ returned from her first mission trip, saddened to leave the experience behind and eager to share it with us. My ears listened to her words tumbling over each other in her excitement. My heart raced as she described the blessing of helping those less fortunate. My skin tingled when she said she wants to go back. I swallowed past the lump in my throat when I realized that for the first time, my girl has witnessed the Lord in a giant, tangible way that I have no part of. My eyes moistened as they peered at this young woman, searching for the little girl she used to be.

In this season, my girl is growing.

In a few weeks, R will be a full-time student.  This path of his youth, long forgotten and now considerably different, is intimidating. The buildings full of classrooms, textbooks that cost a fortune, and classmates two decades younger all loom large. Yet he returns, full of determination to complete the journey and confident of the prize that awaits.

In this season, my man is stretching.

The setting sun casts a pink glow over the kitchen. It's been a long day. I survey the work and rub my aching hands. Tomatoes from our garden have been frozen, along with corn and blueberries grown by someone else. Bread has been punched and formed and baked.  Other treats for the week have been prepared. I smile, drink in the happiness that blessing my family brings.

In this season, I am learning.


Make me to know your ways, O LORD;
teach me your paths.
Lead me in your truth and teach me,
for you are the God of my salvation;
for you I wait all the day long.
~Psalm 25:4-5 (ESV)