February 16, 2011

Redeeming the Time

He thinks we're not making memories. That this new path is crowding out everything else we do and are. I wonder if he's afraid we'll never find our way back. I'm afraid that even his broad shoulders can't bear this weight he's put on himself.

This is just a season, I tell him. I silently pray my words don't fall flat.

For this is just a season. A time under the winnowing fork. A time of sifting, until all that remains glorifies Him.

I think back to summer days on my grandparents' farm. Granddaddy was gone early, caring for the tractors and the hogs. Near lunchtime I would take my post at the window, watching eagerly for his pickup to return. I'd fidget while he ate his lunch, drank the cold milk that kept bones strong for his work. When he was done, I'd scurry out the door. We walked the fields together, checking the progress of each row. Granddaddy knew the harvest was still to come, but he never stopped working. He redeemed the time.

I stare at a picture of my grandfather, his boyish grin lighting up the smoothness of face I never saw. The young man is unfamiliar to me, but I can look into those eyes and see the patience he wore like a second skin. I imagine his leathery deep voice telling me The harvest is coming. For now, redeem the time.

I resolve to do just that. To quit waiting for what will be and to live in what is. To realize that our lives haven't been put on hold and to know that we are living. To stop saying when he graduates... and to start seeing each day for the beautiful miracle it is. To stop saying no to the present, for it truly is a gift.

When harvest time came, Granddaddy could look back on the days of caring and maintaining the fields and smile. He could treasure the memories of that season and know the satisfaction of a job well done.

May it be so in my home, Lord. May it be so.




holy experience

6 comments:

Lisa notes... said...

"To quit waiting for what will be and to live in what is."

These are words that we all need to live on, Melissa. Praying for all in your family to find peace in it. I can imagine this is indeed a hard season of waiting...yet living.

Anonymous said...

"May it be so." Yes, I agree. Today, the very present, this moment ... too easily we lose them in our hurry. I love this word picture of your Granddaddy. I shall carry it with me today as I learn to "redeem the time."
May God rain showers of blessings upon you, ~ linda

Erin said...

May it be so in my home as well....

Connie said...

"and to start seeing each day for the beautiful miracle it is. To stop saying no to the present, for it truly is a gift."...amen...may it be so in all our hearts...in my heart...thank you Melissa

Craig said...

I know it’s Saturday – kind of late to read your “Walking With Him Wednesday” post - but I spent most of the week catching up to reading all of the multitude or Ann’s “Multitude Monday” – and still didn’t finish them all. I got to way over 100 of them though.

And so I come to yours and it makes me smile – “The harvest is coming. For now, redeem the time. Such wise words from the past – and then this from now, “stop saying no to the present, for it truly is a gift.”

I was blessed by this. Thank you.

God be with you and yours

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful blog, and I'm so glad you've joined us at The High Calling. I look forward to seeing you around the network! :)