May 10, 2012

Thankful Thursday

I look at the calendar and my first instinct is to run. Duck under the covers and sleep through the weekend. But I am reminded that even though Mama isn't here to celebrate her birthday or Mother's Day, I have much to be thankful for.  As I prepare for my parents' birthdays this weekend, I'm thankful for:

~The things Mama taught me, especially cooking. I can't help but smile when I look at the last of the green beans we canned together last summer.  I'm savoring them all the more.

~My parents' steadfast love and support.

~A father who chose to be my Dad.

~The love my parents have given not only to me, but to my man & my girl.

~That CJ was able to spend quality time with Mama on the day she got sick, and talk to her on the phone when she was on the road to recovery.

~The fact that CJ loves to go fishing with Daddy.

~The privilege of  being the first member of our family to know Mama, and being the last one to say goodbye. Very fitting indeed.


~The peace I have about Mama's passing, and her eternal home.

~The blessing of being my parents' daughter. It's something I've too often taken for granted. We've never been a perfect family, but the Lord in His sovereignty put us together. And for that, I'm truly grateful.





3 comments:

Becky said...

Melissa, I pray you will find comfort, peace and many, many reasons to give thanks to God, the author of our stories this weekend.

Let His joy be your strength.

Love you.

jenmom said...

Praying for you this mother's day weekend! May God's presence be rich and His grace abundant.

Lisa notes... said...

Praying for you, Melissa. I know you miss your mom so much. I'm glad you got to spend so many important moments with her. Even though our moms aren't with us in body anymore, they are always a part of us. That makes me feel a little bit better...