May 7, 2012

Monday Confession

They feed on the sin of my people;
    they are greedy for their iniquity.
~Hosea 3:8 

It's difficult to see yourself in Scripture. Sometimes it's more than I can bear, this blackness of my soul penned across the whisper thin pages.Yet it stares me in the face and conviction comes, relentless.  The Spirit, He loves me too much to give me a pass on this.

But it is hard - so very hard - to confess how I have tried to nourish myself with the sins of others.

Smirking when they fall

thinking myself above reproach

devouring juicy morsels to satiate my sin-sick soul,

rather than grieving over my own sin.

Am I the same woman who wanted to watch? The very one who prayed for a seared conscience?


How can it be that I have fed on entertainment news, social media and local gossip, circling like a vulture ready to pick apart a fresh carcass. I have dissected situations in my life and chewed on them until I am disgusted.

I have feasted on rotting, sinful flesh rather than the Bread of Life.

Have mercy on me,O God,
    according to your steadfast love;
according to your abundant mercy
     blot out my transgressions.
Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity,
    and cleanse me from my sin!
~Psalm 51:1-2

 Praising the Lord, most humbly, today for His new mercies and His unending grace.
 

No comments: