May 22, 2012

What's On My Nightstand: May

What's On Your Nightstand

It's been a while since I've participated in What's On My Nightstand, but I've read so many good books lately that I wanted to share:

Finished:

The Murder at the Vicarage (Miss Marple Mysteries). This is the first Miss Marple book, and it's a delight. I'd forgotten how sharp Agatha Christie's wit is.

Village School (The Fairacre Series #1). The first Miss Read book I've read, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I was disappointed to find my library doesn't have more of this series, but I hope to find them somehow. I'd love to visit Fairacre again.

I Capture the Castle. In a month of good books, this was probably my favorite. I loved this rich story of Cassandra and her family.

 Currently Reading:

The Envy of Eve: Finding Contentment in a Covetous World. Full of convicting truths, this book is a must-read for women - even those who think they don't struggle with discontentment.

According to Plan: The Unfolding Revelation of God in the Bible. I'm reading this along with the Book Club at Desiring Virtue. I need a good introduction into theology.

Uncompromising: A Heart Claimed By a Radical Love. I'm using this as a basis for Sunday School lessons with my Jr. High girls.

The Distant Hours. I've seen a lot of bloggers talking about Kate Morton, and couldn't resist any longer.

Up Next:

A Woman's Wisdom: How the Book of Proverbs Speaks to Everything. After reading rave reviews of this one, I knew I needed to read it.

The Thirteen Problems.The second book in the Miss Marple series, and it looks like fun.

Be sure to check out others' lists at 5 Minutes for Books.

12 comments:

Kim Shay said...

Love Miss Marple!

Persis said...

I used to have all of Agatha Christie's novels but gave most of them away. I love the Fairacre series too, since I'm a sucker for almost anything British.

Anonymous said...

I haven't ready any Agatha Christie in years! But I remember them as very intreging!

Jen E @ mommablogsalot said...

Great list. I'm intrigued by I Capture the Castle, it looks really good!

Carrie said...

Some Agatha Christie sounds really good to me about now!

My Amazon cart is full, in part, thanks to you. (The Envy of Eve is sitting there right now.)

Veronica @ A Quiet Heart said...

The one on Proverbs definitely looks good! I just added it to my wish list!! :)

Sarah said...

Hi! Just stopping in from What's on Your Nightstand. I just read the 2nd book in the Miss Marple series this month! Our book club read Murder at the Vicarage last year, it was a great one!

Lisa Spence said...

I love Miss Marple. You've got some great reading on your list! I just started Envy of Eve and wow...

Anonymous said...

I love all 3 of the books you read this month! Miss Marple is always fun to spend time with, and I love Fairacre, and "I Capture the Castle" just stole my heart. What a great list! Now I want to go reread these.

Elizabeth
5 Minutes for Books.

bekahcubed said...

The Envy of Eve sounds good--and convicting. I don't know any woman (or man) who doesn't have a problem with covetousness. I know I am actively engaged in a struggle with it almost every day (or many times a day.)

Beth said...

A Woman't Wisdom look like a great read.

I have never read a Miss Marple--something I must rectify one of these days.

Lisa notes... said...

Sigh. There's always so many good books here that I want to read. I'm especially looking for some new fiction so I need to write down these titles. Thanks, Melissa!