January 1, 2010

Hello, 2010

How do I sum up 2009? To borrow a line from Dickens, It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. I watched God absolutely astound me by preparing me for and taking me to Peru, a trip which consumed the first half of the year. A week after my return, the great bathroom disaster hit. The next 3 months were spent with my life in an uproar as my home was literally in shambles. Then, in October, the news that R would be losing his job overshadowed everything.

But God...

Now, as I sit on the cusp of a new decade, I wonder what God has in store. He stretched me far in the past decade (particuarly the past year), sometimes to the point I felt I would break. Yet I have learned that it's only when I am at my weakest that I realize exactly how strong He is. I need that strength!

 I told R last night, I don't mind being on this side of his job loss (which is still impending at this point) and I won't mind being on the other side of it. I just don't want to go through it. I'm not sure if that makes sense to anyone besides me, but I have to admit that I'm a little apprehensive about this entire journey.

Still, I know that He is faithful. I know that He is good. I know that He is bigger than the job and the finances and the fear.

Today is the first step of the Year of Faith and Freedom.  I don't know where we're going, but I do know that God will be there every step of the way.






7 comments:

Carrie said...

Yes! =D I GET IT! I just don't want to go THROUGH it! =) hehheh.

Yes, I did go to law school (2 years of it) and then decided I didn't want to give my life to it. Too stressful and consuming. SO I was a legal secretary instead for five years and LOVED it because I could tell the attorney at the end of the day that I was going home, I was closing the file, I was walking out the door and I would NOT be thinking about it or be back until the next day. ;) (While he usually had to stay at the office...)

Lisa Spence said...

I totally get it as well. Made me think of Is. 43:2--"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you." So shall you see the Lord's faithfulness!

Angela Nazworth said...

I too get this. My husband has lost his job 4 times in a five year span...the last loss we found out about a few weeks ago almost sent me over an emotional edge. I was so angry and scared...and hurt because our job losses mean moves...so to think I would have to move yet again from a place I've grown to love in just 4 months broke my heart...and I did not want to look at any bright sides or seek any comfort from truth, I just wanted to be mad. But God did work in my heart and while I'm still sad and somewhat scared I am also hopeful and excited and cling to peace.

sobeit said...

You will make it through...even though the valley is never where we want to be, its the round that leads to the mountain top. He will guide you with every step! Happy New Year!

His Girl said...

I've never thought of it in those words... but that's exactly how I feel about most trials- well said!

Can't wait to see what happens this year! So thankful for our friendship!

Gretchen said...

May 2010 be FULL of unexpected blessings!
Happy New Year!

Kelly said...

I absolutely get it. As hard as it is to go through the trials, it is always exhilerating later to look back and see God' shand in everything, so I look forward to next year, and hearing all that God does in the next months.

Praying for you.